What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Where can I get this brush?

nkaichun

Please help me! Needed this brush to design poster! The bursting effect behind the bowling pins! Thanks guys!
Untitled.png

ibclare

Queen Bee
Do you mean the rays?

Try looking up sunray or radial beams/rays brushes for Photoshop or look for shapes to import to your shape tool menu.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You don't need a brush for it...

Use the Polygon Tool set to star to create it. Your image has a 72 sided star which I'm creating here.

Step 1 - Follow the settings as shown in my example to create the star... 72 sides.... Indent Sides by : 60%.

Step 2 - Create an elliptical selection as shown .

Step 3 - Feather selection (40-50 pixels)

Step 4 - Inverse the selection. Hit Delete.

Step 5 - Here, I lowered the star layer's opacity so you'll see it in relation to your image......

72-point_star.gif

Hope this helps.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Amaaaazing Vee. I don't work with the shape tools enough and have never used this one! That's what you know being a graphic designer for a living - you I mean. Thanks; always happy to pick up something new which I can actually use! Sometimes we're all newbies nkaichun!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks dv8! Although I had some trouble with the technique in CS6. I had to be doing something wrong! When I did step 4 the whole thing was deleted.

Here's what worked for me though!

Select the Polygon Tool.
Click the gear Icon in the tools option bar.
Set to star, and indent sides to 60%.
Set the number of sides to 72. This is just like dv8 described.
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 4.34.17 PM.png

Now create the Star shape. I centered the shape to my canvas.

Select your Elliptical Marquee Tool, to center the selection and make it round, hold the alt/option key and the shift key at the same time and create an elliptical selection by starting at the center of the star. This step is just like dv8 did.

Hit SELECT > MODIFY > FEATHER, then feather the selection (50px) just like dv8 did.

(Don't inverse the selection.) Then click the add layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 4.42.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 4.42.58 PM.png

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You have to Inverse the selection in order to delete/soften the points...

The layer mask also works being non-destructive to the layer object.

Thanks dv8! Although I had some trouble with the technique in CS6. I had to be doing something wrong! When I did step 4 the whole thing was deleted.

Here's what worked for me though!

Select the Polygon Tool.
Click the gear Icon in the tools option bar.
Set to star, and indent sides to 60%.
Set the number of sides to 72. This is just like dv8 described.
View attachment 43285

Now create the Star shape. I centered the shape to my canvas.

Select your Elliptical Marquee Tool, to center the selection and make it round, hold the alt/option key and the shift key at the same time and create an elliptical selection by starting at the center of the star. This step is just like dv8 did.

Hit SELECT > MODIFY > FEATHER, then feather the selection (50%) just like dv8 did.

Then click the add layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

View attachment 43286

View attachment 43287

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You have to Inverse the selection in order to delete/soften the points...

When I try that the way you described, it deletes the entire layer. Using the mask, you don't have to inverse the selection.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I finally got it to work using the delete method.

I had to rasterize the star first, then feather, then inverse and delete. But it won't work until I rasterize the star layer, it either deletes the entire layer or gives me this message.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 12.30.40 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, control + shift + I inverts the selection....then hitting delete, deletes the layer or causes the message to pop up. It works when I rasterize though.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's a shape layer you created....

my bad.... that's the problem when you have PS and CS installed on your machine. I was uising PS7 - loaded at the time coz I had work going on in it.

Yup, you have rasterize the shape layer.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whew............I thought I was going crazy! :rofl:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I understand how that goes, no problem!

Mine kept on just deleting the layer, then the last time I tried, that message popped up and that's what gave me the clue that I needed to try rasterizing the layer. I'm just glad I got it to work.

Yet another helpful post where I learned something I didn't know before, so thanks dv8!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You got that right, I'm the one who wrote 50%...........I changed it in my post.