What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Brushe doesnt want to draw a straight line! ZigZag/ Jittering/ Whatever EXTRAVAGANZA!

8ball

Hi

I need some serious help about my brush/es.

It is really simple one and i get what i want except that brush have some "jitters", "zigzags", i dont know how to call it.
The line is not straight when a draw it in some angle or when i do curve. Every parametar that i change, line still isnt smooth like it should be.
Have same problem in the other programs like SketchBook and in TVPaint (in Sketchbook i somehow menage to smooth it a bit).

Brush that i want is a MOST PRIMITIVE as possible; gimme just black color without any fancy effects, and make it smaller or bigger if i do more or less pressure, THATS IT!!
It should look like ink outline in comics, clear and simple.

No mater what size of document or brush i choose, no mater how many pixels per inch i do, line go nuts. I really start to think that todays hardware or software isnt capable
of doing that simple action. Maybe because pixels are arranged in a grid so it isnt possible to do it smooth. Dunno........

This problem is killin me for about 6-8 months, so i start to be desperate.
What parameters should i change to make look "normal" without that "zigzags"? New graphic card? VGA, DVI? Throwing Wacom out from my window?

bdw: I know that my comp is a bit out of date, but for my purposes is just fine... or not?

TY!

Visual representation of my problem:
BrushExample_2.jpg

Windows 8
PS CS6 64bit
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, 1800 MHz
ASRock G31M-GS
DDR2 RAM 2048 MB
NVIDIA GeForce 210
Wacom 21UX Tablet

MrToM

Guru
Re: Brushe doesnt want to draw a straight line! ZigZag/ Jittering/ Whatever EXTRAVAGA

From what you've said this may be a stupid question but just so that everyone is on the same page does your 'Brush' preset panel look like this...everything unchecked and 'Spacing' set to 1...

brush_preset_01.png

Regards.
MrTom.

8ball

Re: Brushe doesnt want to draw a straight line! ZigZag/ Jittering/ Whatever EXTRAVAGA

Finally some constructive solution!

Yes, sometimes the simplest solution is the best one; i do what u show me to do and all heavens shows to me :D
And thank u for that.

Now only few questions are left: 1. Why u made some brushes if they look like crap (When i turn off all unnecessarily options on brush, line start to look like charm),
and 2. Why does line look change depend on level of zoom that u work in?! (think that the 2nd problem is the "one")

I realized that most of my problems gone away when i change zoom ratio during drawing, i wonder why is that happening?

If u can answer me that question i buy u a beer ;)

Tnx for ur time MrTom

Nenad

MrToM

Guru

...i do what u show me to do and all heavens shows to me And thank u for that...
No worries.

...Now only few questions are left: 1. Why u made some brushes if they look like crap (When i turn off all unnecessarily options on brush, line start to look like charm)...
Not entirely sure what you mean by this.
Photoshop comes with a whole host of 'Preset' brushes....unnecessarily so really, the only difference with some is the size and 'hardness' setting but as this can be done 'on the fly' when using the brush it doesn't really warrant a separate preset...well, I don't think so anyway.

One really annoying thing about those presets is that they all have 'some' spacing setting greater than 1%....this invariably ends up with bobbly lines.

spacing_01.png

What I do is to set up 1 brush with no effects and a spacing of 1%, as in my earlier image, and then SAVE that as my default brush using the 'New Brush Preset...' option from the panel menu icon top right of the panel.(Directly under the 'close' button)

In the 'Preset Manager', (Middle icon at the bottom of the 'Brush' panel), I can then move that brush to the top of the list so its always there when I need it.....using the keyboard shortcuts to make the brush bigger / smaller and or change its hardness if I need to...which is often.

Things like opacity and blend mode can be done from the menubar at the top of the workspace when the 'Brush' tool is selected.

If I need to have a brush with an effect, say, one which 'tapers' at each end then I can use my 'default' brush as a starting point, set it up how I want using the 'Brush' panel and then save that too.....this preserves the original default brush.

I can then use the 'Preset Manager' again to move that new saved brush into position 2 in the list......and so on.

You don't have to save every brush you create but if you set one up you think you may use again then just save it....naming it appropriately.

One word of warning though...if you 'reset' the brushes or replace them you WILL lose any brushes you created. You need to save the entire current 'Brush' collection as a preset file to be able to load them back into PS.

It is best to 'Clear' the brushes BEFORE creating your own.....saving each brush as you create it and also saving the brush SET (everything) as a preset file.

You'll find the 'Save Brushes...' option in the menu of the 'Brush Preset' panel.

You can easily 'add' to your brush collection when you need a new brush but you MUST save the SET in order to permanently keep them.

This preset file can then be loaded whenever you need it.....and it will stay in the brush presets until you 'Clear' it or 'Replace' it......appending to a SET does not remove anything.

Adobe don't exactly make it easy.

...2. Why does line look change depend on level of zoom that u work in?! (think that the 2nd problem is the "one")

I realized that most of my problems gone away when i change zoom ratio during drawing, i wonder why is that happening?...
Photoshop is a pixel based image editor, but you know that, so when you 'zoom' in on an image you are effectively viewing the image from a closer distance.....closer things 'look' bigger but they don't physically change in any way.

An image will generally look totally different when viewed close up, and that goes for any image...digital, paper, oil on canvas...whatever, but when viewed from the intended distance will look fine.

'Zoom' is only used when editing the finer details of an image....its just a tool like any of the others, you use it when you need it and zoom back out when you're finished.

Its no big deal to be constantly zooming in and out, in fact it makes it very easy to work on areas of an image by doing so...it does not affect the image in any way.

Sorry if I didn't understand the questions correctly.

Regards.
MrTom.

8ball

I appreciate ur time again, and u give me more answers that i can chew ;)

By "level zoom" i mean some picture position that im workin on, and i never zooming in in more then the picture resolution is by it self.
For example; if i work on picture size 2000 x 2000, line on full "native" resolution is fine, but when im zoom out, cause picture is a bit huge to handle it properly, at some point, maybe zoom out 2x line start to look strange, on zoom out level 3x, line looks perfect and maybe on zoom out lvl 5x, again line looks like crap.
Think thats the harware problem, and with ur explanation i think that i can work from now on without nervous bursts ;)

Ty
Nenad