What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Underlying pattern

Bravura

Hello, I'm John. I'm looking for some help with the pattern this brush makes.
If you look closely the brush leaves a pattern of squares or short diagonal lines underneath when I'm shading as I pencil sketch.
I want to use Photoshop just to emulate pencil sketching to save paper when practicing etc.
I love this brush but not sure what's causing the pattern and if it can be fixed.

Pattern.jpg

colleague

Guru
hi John

you can use a layer with a pattern overlay effect but blend-mode multiply

Attachments

• xglass-enamel-effect06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EfHHb4gB7A.jpg
    xglass-enamel-effect06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EfHHb4gB7A.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
  • layer effect.psd
    3.8 MB · Views: 7

Bravura

Thank you, it didn't seem to change it for me. In your attached image you can see the pattern in the little house.
Little horizontal lighter lines, looks like when a printer is running out of ink.
I'm kind of new to digital painting. Thank you for your help.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Bravura

Just as an exercise to see if I could do it, I extracted the pattern used in your image and an easy way to implement using it as a brush.

My assumptions were that the brush was simply revealing a pattern and that the pattern would only darken the underlying color if the pattern was darker (i.e. Darken blend mode).

With that assumption her is the pattern file that you could load into Photoshop and use to create the desired effect. It is grayish with a slight blue tinge (I image similar to graphite):View attachment Graphite with Blue Tinge.pat

This pattern repeats every 128 bits yet any pattern that you use (including the one in your image) is seeing with the eye as repeating. It done well, you don't see the pattern lines yet even with yours, it is there.
How you point this pattern is pretty straightforward. You select the Pattern Stamp Tool (Press and hold the Stamp tool to have it appear), set the blend mode to Darken, the mode to aligned and then pick any brush you desire and brush away.

In the image below, I copied the same background color as your original image, used the instructions above with a simple soft round brush (no pressure settings) and the image below is what I got. Give it a try and see if this meets your needs. It was a fun exercise for me to extract your pattern the best I knew how from an already brush painted image yet I think it came pretty close.

NOTE: you will need to click on the image and get the full size to see the details of the pattern. The smaller compressed version that shows initially in the post is too fuzzy

Hope this helps

John Wheeler

Recreated-image-from-extracted-pattern.jpg

Last edited: