What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Gurus Forum Challenge Week #17

Are you using Gwan Chang there by any chance????
nicely done I dont think he used zoom radial blur on his version. I thought you said you had to use your images lol your a cheat.
Ok this is not so much for the challenge or even a pleasing result this however is where it all begun with me. It started on a warm summers evening my Girlfriend and I were playing around with my first compact digital camera that she had just bought me for my birthday 1 thing lead to another and I was allowed to photograph her ( in the name of art of course), So I had these images and I wanted to make them better so this is when I researched photoshop, so of on my merry little way I downloaded the demo of photoshop cs2 and this is when a photoshop Guru was born alongside my passion for photography. I followed tutorials from books because back then youtube was not very popular for things like tutorials in fact youtube had only just begun and resources were limited for people wanting to learn it as a hobby. and after 2 days of getting to know my way around photoshop reading lots of how to books from my library many years out of date this was my very first project and even to this day she still has this picture in a frame by her bed (how sweet) Do I get bonus points for the heart whelming story?????
A part of me would like to redo this image (probably in less than 10 mins now)To see if I would make it better now, But then I think the magic will be lost
IMGP0741.jpg
original.jpg

You might want to go back and read my post which says I'm cheating and which says I'm using Gwan Chan's photo and no it doesn't have any blur in the original. :mrgreen:

By the way, I amended my initial post when I realized that one would probably not want to alter an HDR result as that enhancement might be lost in any other effects.

Interesting selective color there Hoog. Nice.

Ok this is not so much for the challenge or even a pleasing result this however is where it all begun with me. It started on a warm summers evening my Girlfriend and I were playing around with my first compact digital camera that she had just bought me for my birthday 1 thing lead to another and I was allowed to photograph her ( in the name of art of course) . . . even to this day she still has this picture in a frame by her bed (how sweet) Do I get bonus points for the heart whelming story?????
A part of me would like to redo this image (probably in less than 10 mins now)To see if I would make it better now, But then I think the magic will be lost

What a sweet story. That should be one of those surveys here: how did you get into Photoshop?

Bonus point? you want Bonus Points? :rofl:
OK :rolleyes:
But I think I understand what you say about the magic.

I like this: heart warming + overwhelming = heart whelming :mrgreen:

I was thinking about starting a thread for people to recall there first photoshop project and why they got into it but then thought no need I can just Hijack this thread for all 3 of us to see and share lol

Still think a new thread about that could be fun, but I knoooooow what you mean!

This is my first try at a photomerge. A better sky might have been helpful; I'll have to do that when I get the energy back, lol. These were big photos and when PS was finished with the merge and I had cropped it, it was 111 inches wide. Took awhile to merge :D.

Attachments

• originals.PNG
    originals.PNG
    517.9 KB · Views: 1
  • BY_PanCollage.PNG
    BY_PanCollage.PNG
    568.3 KB · Views: 1
  • BkYard_Pan_levels.jpg
    BkYard_Pan_levels.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi all;

Welcome to week 17. This week concentrates more on photography than design and is very open to your ideas and something you want to learn more about. It is to take one (or multiple) of your photos and enhance it in any way you like, using 2 or 3 techniques to tke it up a notch. Here are a few ideas:

*a black and white conversion such as a monotone tint (sepia or a colour tint), a dual tone/split tone and selectibe colour where a certain colour or oblect remains coloured in a black and white image.
*use a motion or radial blur, add a layer mask to erase parts of the blur where you want the image to come through, add a layer effect such as a gradient overlay or colorize the image or both.
*do a photomerge to make a scene out of multiple shots, a panorama or a larger scene than you could do with just one shot.
*if you have CS5 you can do an HDR toning with one picture/one exposure; if you have CS2, 3, or 4, you can take 3 photos of the same scene shot at 3 different exposures and use the HDR merge in Photoshop.

Use your imagination, and post your before and after photos.

If you have a great tutorial you've used, please post it. If you use a different technique than any of the above, please describe it and briefly the steps you used, or post a tutorial. Show off your favorite kinds of photography and photographic effects.

Here's an interesting tutorial using motion blur:
Photoshop Bourne Ultimatum Color and Motion Blur Effect

Here's a quick one on creating duotone:
How to Convert an Image to a Duotone in Photoshop

Here's one on photomerge:
Free Photoshop CS3 Tutorials - Photomerge

If you want to go out and make a series of shots to create a panorama here are a couple to look at:
How to Create a Panorama with Photoshop and Photomerge
Using Photomerge for Stunning Panoramic Photos (and some tips for shooting panoramics) | General/Basics

I hope this gives you some ideas to run with and please come back with your inspirations!
:yourock:

Cool idea Clare! I am doing something like this for my photography class this week, and I still haven´t come up with anything for that either lol. But it really is a good idea. :)

And here are 2 images they are in my developed and process folder however finding the originals may be hard as they are in raw format and I have so many folders to go through to see if I have them as you can imagine each picture being about 65Mbs I tend to delete them once I have processed them. But I will try.
View attachment 10202View attachment 10203

Ver nice Hoogle! I love the ambience of the dandelion one especially! :)

Gosh, you guys . . . I stand corrected or fall down so! You both are using some techniques you haven't tried and that's great. Besides, I have to change the rules for myself for the moment, heh heh. You know what Calvin said to Hobbes . . .

Anyway, I'm waiting for my camera batteries to charge up, then I want to do multiple shots for a photomerge. In the meantime I went to deviant art and found a photo to play with radial blur & a few other things. This photo is by Gwan Chan.

This photo was converted to B&W, infrared filter with some color adjustments. A radial zoom blur applied and masked from part of the girl. Used curves to create solarization then added a couple gradient adj. layers changing opacities and blend modes.

Wow cool! I have to try that radial zoom blur thing! :)

Are you using Gwan Chang there by any chance????
nicely done I dont think he used zoom radial blur on his version. I thought you said you had to use your images lol your a cheat.
Ok this is not so much for the challenge or even a pleasing result this however is where it all begun with me. It started on a warm summers evening my Girlfriend and I were playing around with my first compact digital camera that she had just bought me for my birthday 1 thing lead to another and I was allowed to photograph her ( in the name of art of course), So I had these images and I wanted to make them better so this is when I researched photoshop, so of on my merry little way I downloaded the demo of photoshop cs2 and this is when a photoshop Guru was born alongside my passion for photography. I followed tutorials from books because back then youtube was not very popular for things like tutorials in fact youtube had only just begun and resources were limited for people wanting to learn it as a hobby. and after 2 days of getting to know my way around photoshop reading lots of how to books from my library many years out of date this was my very first project and even to this day she still has this picture in a frame by her bed (how sweet) Do I get bonus points for the heart whelming story?????
View attachment 10224
View attachment 10225

To tell you the truth Hoogle, for once I don´t really like it, cute story though lol. :)

Still think a new thread about that could be fun, but I knoooooow what you mean!

This is my first try at a photomerge. A better sky might have been helpful; I'll have to do that when I get the energy back, lol. These were big photos and when PS was finished with the merge and I had cropped it, it was 111 inches wide. Took awhile to merge :D.

I have never dared to try that, I am going to have to try though. :)

Hi all;

Welcome to week 17. This week concentrates more on photography than design and is very open to your ideas and something you want to learn more about. It is to take one (or multiple) of your photos and enhance it in any way you like, using 2 or 3 techniques to tke it up a notch. Here are a few ideas:

*a black and white conversion such as a monotone tint (sepia or a colour tint), a dual tone/split tone and selectibe colour where a certain colour or oblect remains coloured in a black and white image.
*use a motion or radial blur, add a layer mask to erase parts of the blur where you want the image to come through, add a layer effect such as a gradient overlay or colorize the image or both.
*do a photomerge to make a scene out of multiple shots, a panorama or a larger scene than you could do with just one shot.
*if you have CS5 you can do an HDR toning with one picture/one exposure; if you have CS2, 3, or 4, you can take 3 photos of the same scene shot at 3 different exposures and use the HDR merge in Photoshop.

Use your imagination, and post your before and after photos.

If you have a great tutorial you've used, please post it. If you use a different technique than any of the above, please describe it and briefly the steps you used, or post a tutorial. Show off your favorite kinds of photography and photographic effects.

Here's an interesting tutorial using motion blur:
Photoshop Bourne Ultimatum Color and Motion Blur Effect

Here's a quick one on creating duotone:
How to Convert an Image to a Duotone in Photoshop

Here's one on photomerge:
Free Photoshop CS3 Tutorials - Photomerge

If you want to go out and make a series of shots to create a panorama here are a couple to look at:
How to Create a Panorama with Photoshop and Photomerge
Using Photomerge for Stunning Panoramic Photos (and some tips for shooting panoramics) | General/Basics

I hope this gives you some ideas to run with and please come back with your inspirations!
:yourock:
That is what I did

To tell you the truth Hoogle, for once I don´t really like it, cute story though lol. :)
Well in all honesty though was any of our first projects really that good. The reason I like the image all though many mistakes and unrealism in it is purely because I did everything for myself and stuck at it with what would have been a complicated thing to do with your first go at photoshop. And because of that photo it made me stick at photoshop and photography to this day.

@ Redneck You have entered an image of a topic I really like to do selective colouring especially red and flowers I love the acrylic/ plasitc look you have achieved. I have loads of pictures like this here are 2 examples completely different end of the spectrum 1 has all grain added to it and 1 has a natural peacefull look about it.
bandw.jpgDSC_0172.jpg

@ Redneck You have entered an image of a topic I really like to do selective colouring especially red and flowers I love the acrylic/ plasitc look you have achieved. I have loads of pictures like this here are 2 examples completely different end of the spectrum 1 has all grain added to it and 1 has a natural peacefull look about it.
View attachment 10243View attachment 10244
Looks pretty cool

I have never dared to try that, I am going to have to try though. :)

When I go back and look at the photomerge, I realize I shouldn't have stopped there. It is after all a photograph, and it needs adjustments and such. And maybe some more warping to bring that bush on the left more upright . . . But it's nothing to fear; all you have to do is plant your feet, swivel and overlap your shots. PS does the hard part! I don't have that great a camera though I don't use all the features that could improve my results, duh. It does have RAW format though which is why I chose this one. Give it a try Vafann. I just shot my backyard. Don't need a lush landscape though that could be a good next project.

Back