What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Gurus Forum Challenge Week #17

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi all;

Welcome to week 17. This week concentrates more on photography than design and is very open to your ideas and something you want to learn more about. It is to take one (or multiple) of your photos and enhance it in any way you like, using 2 or 3 techniques to tke it up a notch. Here are a few ideas:

*a black and white conversion such as a monotone tint (sepia or a colour tint), a dual tone/split tone and selectibe colour where a certain colour or oblect remains coloured in a black and white image.
*use a motion or radial blur, add a layer mask to erase parts of the blur where you want the image to come through, add a layer effect such as a gradient overlay or colorize the image or both.
*do a photomerge to make a scene out of multiple shots, a panorama or a larger scene than you could do with just one shot.
*if you have CS5 you can do an HDR toning with one picture/one exposure; if you have CS2, 3, or 4, you can take 3 photos of the same scene shot at 3 different exposures and use the HDR merge in Photoshop.

Use your imagination, and post your before and after photos.

If you have a great tutorial you've used, please post it. If you use a different technique than any of the above, please describe it and briefly the steps you used, or post a tutorial. Show off your favorite kinds of photography and photographic effects.

Here's an interesting tutorial using motion blur:
Photoshop Bourne Ultimatum Color and Motion Blur Effect

Here's a quick one on creating duotone:
How to Convert an Image to a Duotone in Photoshop

Here's one on photomerge:
Free Photoshop CS3 Tutorials - Photomerge

If you want to go out and make a series of shots to create a panorama here are a couple to look at:
How to Create a Panorama with Photoshop and Photomerge
Using Photomerge for Stunning Panoramic Photos (and some tips for shooting panoramics) | General/Basics

I hope this gives you some ideas to run with and please come back with your inspirations!
:yourock:

Hoogle

Guru
I guess poster art can count if you feel it enhances the image that is the rules right????

Hoogle

Guru
And here are 2 images they are in my developed and process folder however finding the originals may be hard as they are in raw format and I have so many folders to go through to see if I have them as you can imagine each picture being about 65Mbs I tend to delete them once I have processed them. But I will try.
_DSC0089-6.jpg_DSC0110-7.jpg

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
okay just because you have a fancy camera and i have one that's falling to bits XD :p

Hoogle

Guru
oops forgot that I released the clipping mask so ignore the spill into the frame and the colour top right corner lol

Hoogle

Guru
Sorry I thought it was ok to use other peoples images am I wrong ???
can you not set your exposure on your camera even most modern compact cameras can usually let you go either way by 1 or 2 stops. Any way your getting a new DSLR soon arent you ?? then that will give you full control of everything.

Hoogle

Guru
Yes I am wrong the rules do state your images so I am disqualified from the whole challenge now. You snitch Zeealex lol

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Sorry I thought it was ok to use other peoples images am I wrong ???
can you not set your exposure on your camera even most modern compact cameras can usually let you go either way by 1 or 2 stops. Any way your getting a new DSLR soon arent you ?? then that will give you full control of everything.
i was joking about the permissions thing y'know :p

and it doesn't matter what i do with the exposure compensation it still overexposes. it has a lens defect me thinks. only got 3 months and i'm getting a new one so i'm not too fussed, and yes, can't wait for full control over my images for a change AND the quick response time, my kodak is slow as hell, you press the button, it beeps, then you hear the shutter, and it's all slow moooo so annoying. because i have a shoot and move strategy.

Hoogle

Guru
Ok I will post the image I have just done I kept in my not sure to throw away folder I am back in the competition lol.
I guess this counts as HDR maybe has multiple exposures blended in together and a hell of a lot of dodge and burn.
hdr.jpg
DSC_0429.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
simmer down kids!! :slap:

:rofl:

I did, however ask that you try to use 2 or 3 effects on your work and implied maybe spending a little time researching how to do something you don't know how to do. It's supposed to be a challenge!

But no rules if you want to do your own thing. That's cool too, so what anyone wants to show off as cool effects then ... by all means.

Hoogle

Guru
So what your saying is my images do not qualify. In that last 1 I have 5 different exposures lighting effects colour tone over lay HDR Toning and dodge and burn like crazy and lighting added all to enhance the image what more do you want lol.......

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
i don't know how many effects i used on mine, i improvised, never actually used the stamp filter in my life :p

ibclare

Queen Bee
Gosh, you guys . . . I stand corrected or fall down so! You both are using some techniques you haven't tried and that's great. Besides, I have to change the rules for myself for the moment, heh heh. You know what Calvin said to Hobbes . . .

Anyway, I'm waiting for my camera batteries to charge up, then I want to do multiple shots for a photomerge. In the meantime I went to deviant art and found a photo to play with radial blur & a few other things. This photo is by Gwan Chan.

This photo was converted to B&W, infrared filter with some color adjustments. A radial zoom blur applied and masked from part of the girl. Used curves to create solarization then added a couple gradient adj. layers changing opacities and blend modes.

Attachments

• swing__swing_swiiing_by_Gwan_chan.jpg
    swing__swing_swiiing_by_Gwan_chan.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
  • swing__swing_swiiing_solarize3.jpg
    swing__swing_swiiing_solarize3.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 0
  • swing__swing_swiiing_2.jpg
    swing__swing_swiiing_2.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 0