What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Postcard Theme Challenge: the Winter Celebration You Observe

ibclare

Queen Bee
12/29: I am updating this post to state that we will indeed have a winner as judged by Mark theKeeper, and esteemed PSG Guru of many years. The winner will design the next Holiday Challenge, which in the U.S. is Valentine's Day, February 14th. If your culture/country has a different one before that, it's your choice to make it for that or Valentine's. So ignore the next sentence. :redface: :mrgreen:

This Challenge will not be numbered and will have no winner as we take time out to celebrate our observation and enjoyment of the season's holidays. The Winter Solstice Festivals and Holy Days are many.

Celebrate your own culture and share with us!

Thanks to Jessicayla, Inkz, and others who have given their feedback on the idea . . .

The challenge is: Using interesting typography effects and any background/foreground/manipulation/scenery/etc. create a Postcard and share your Spirit of the Season. Any theme related to the Seasonal Celebrations is welcome. The postcard can be old-fashioned themed, modern, anime, fantasy, cos, sci-fi, or whatever gets your creative juices flowing.

This Challenge will last through December 31st and your theme can expand to include New Year's or other holidays which might take you past December 25th.

Have fun. We're all looking forward to great contributions!

Here's a list from Wikipedia:
  • Advent: four weeks prior to Christmas (Western Christianity).
  • Saint Nicholas' Day: 6 December
  • Bodhi Day: 8 December - Day of Enlightenment, celebrating the day that the historical Buddha (Shakyamuni or Siddhartha Guatama) experienced enlightenment (also known as Bodhi).
  • Saint Lucy's Day: 13 December - Church Feast Day. Saint Lucy comes as a young woman with lights and sweets.
  • Winter Solstice: 21 December-22 December - midwinter
  • Dongzhi Festival - a celebration of Winter
  • Soyal: 21 December - Zuni and Hopi
  • Yalda: 21 December - The turning point, Winter Solstice. As the longest night of the year and the beginning of the lengthening of days, Shabe Yaldā or Shabe Chelle is an Iranian festival celebrating the victory of light and goodness over darkness and evil. Shabe yalda means 'birthday eve.' According to Persian mythology, Mithra was born at dawn on the 22nd of December to avirgin mother. He symbolizes light, truth, goodness, strength, and friendship. Herodotus reports that this was the most important holiday of the year for contemporary Persians. In modern times Persians celebrate Yalda by staying up late or all night, a practice known as Shab Chera meaning 'night gazing'. Fruits and nuts are eaten, especially pomegranates and watermelons, whose red color invokes the crimson hues of dawn and symbolize Mithra.
  • Mōdraniht: or Mothers' Night, the Saxon winter solstice festival.
  • Saturnalia: the Roman winter solstice festival
  • Pancha Ganapati: Five-day festival in honor of Lord Ganesha. December 21–25.
  • Christmas Eve: 24 December
  • Dies Natalis Solis Invicti (Day of the birth of the Unconquered Sun): late Roman Empire - :mrgreen:25 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Twelve Days of Christmas: 25 December through 6 January
  • Yule: Pagan winter festival that was celebrated by the historical Germanic people from late December to early January.
  • Anastasia of Sirmium Feast Day: 25 December
  • Malkh: 25 December
  • Boxing Day: 26 December - Gift-giving day after Christmas.
  • Kwanzaa: 26 December - 1 January - Pan-African festival celebrated in North America
  • Saint Stephen's Day: 26 December
  • Saint John the Evangelist's Day: 27 December
  • Holy Innocents' Day: 28 December
  • Saint Sylvester's Day: 31 December
  • Watch Night: 31 December
  • New Year's Eve: 31 December - Last day of the Gregorian year

Last edited:

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Re: Challenge: Postcard with Christmas Theme or Any Other Winter Celebration You Obse

Nice Clareby, count me in on this one

:thumbsup:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Challenge: Postcard with Christmas Theme or Any Other Winter Celebration You Obse

Clare, is a greeting card style OK?

ibclare

Queen Bee

Why not Sam!

All kinda fits the same format. Just have fun!

Here's my first one. Another more elaborate (maybe) or more simple (maybe) card in the making.

Solstice Theme Postcard.jpg

Last edited:

chrisix

Guru

Mod edit: chrisix, you are welcome to express yourself but no flaming, subtle or otherwise -- as yours was not apparently made in the spirit of the season.

The children are our future.
and sadly enough, i dont think the average chirstmas card reaches the yough of today anymore.
we need something they can relate to. something fun and exciting
telling them what christmas is realy about, while still provoking their interest.
so I present to you: the christmas card for the young ones!~

christmasforchildren.png
yes, those are a laser cat and shark (awesome)

Last edited by a moderator:

MotherSpider

Is it cheating that I had already made my card for the year?card.jpg

I must say IamSam's is awesome. I am going to have to start trying these out of bounds (what do you call them) designs. Cool

ibclare

Queen Bee

Sam & Beast. You are setting the bar high!

Here is mine, conceived of before seeing yours, but quality probably enhanced by the competition, lol.

Angels we have heard_3.jpg

The blue border was not part of the original design, but the white outside border disappeared into the white forum page (which would be fine for the PSG dark folk but not us fluidics, :}).The tree scene googled is "Happy Holidays from NYC 2006" marked MIHAY.DR, but I couldn't find any other info on the photographer.The girl is from deviant art "subterranea_ii_by_blade_of_mako and the model is the artist herself; http://blade-of-mako.deviantart.com/

Last edited:

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!

hehe thanks Clareby, Nice job you too :thumbsup: :cool2: in fact nice work everyone. C, liking that buddy :thumbsup:

Bruce Foster

Hi All

I am new here, this is the card we made this year.

Two photos done on Green Screen.

Bruce Foster

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!

Hi Bruce and Welcome to PSG.

unfortunately your images are not being displayed :confused:

ibclare

Queen Bee

I present to you: the christmas card for the young ones!~

Thanks for sharing your unique POV :mrgreen:

Is it cheating that I had already made my card for the year?

Hey Mom!

No I wouldn't call it cheating, but it would be cool to see you make a new one using the new guidelines and make it of a resolution and size we can all enjoy!

Maybe we should get together a collection of cards and sell them in our PSG Shop . . . oh right, no such thing. Think of them as your Christmas gift to the viewing populace, lol!

Last edited:

chitkaran

Guru

Hi All

I am new here, this is the card we made this year.

Two photos done on Green Screen.

Bruce Foster

I cant see your images either mate.. try to upload them again using the 'green' icon in the reply window

ibclare

Queen Bee

colleague, verrrrrry nice. I'm glad you made one. You do such handsome work. Man that's a lame description! If I think of the right word later, I'll edit it . . . :rolleyes: