What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Ideas.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I have a document in which I am compiling topics that I think would make good challenges. I'm basing most of these ideas on what comes up on the forum from you guys. I really would like to keep it current with the interest trends on the forum

For instance, one which just made itself known and which inspired this thread, is colorization. This was a challenge topic 2 years ago and I think it's time again. Another would be combining HDR effects with others. Like one posted today by new member Heczia http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...ect]-please-help-me-discover-what-effect.html, uses a B&W BG, an HDR figure, and other filter effects, etc., as we are guessing.

So
  1. PM me if your are the next challenge creator and need ideas
  2. post some ideas here, something you think members need or you want to see/do more of
I don't want to post my ten or so topics at this time. I'd like to see what interests all of you first.

Colouring challenges = black/white to colour.
Pimp my challenges = pimp my car/boat/house what ever.
Poster challenges = film or magazine covers.
Pick a tut challenges = tuts from other sites then out as a challenge to members.
:mrgreen:

A "dream" like manipulation. Show what you think a dream would look like if viewed from outside (if that makes any sense)
I like Paul's idea of the "Pimp my" as I often do that sort of stuff anyways, specially when it comes to automotive stuff.

I found an awesome reddit where they post challenges for people to complete (link is here - 52 Weeks of Design)

I've found several interesting challenges that I thought would be great to try here as well.
Some including:

1. Design a postcard from the place you're in RIGHT NOW. Make it traditional, or ironic, or anything you'd like. Just try to capture some aspect of your current location.

2. You woke up today the owner of a company that bears your name. Could be a company that produces specialty moustache wax, or a car dealership in Raleigh, or even a small plumbing company in Fargo. Maybe you're global...JACOB JONES INTERNATIONAL ZIPPER MANUFACTURING CO. for example.
Choose an industry, type of company, etc, then turn your name into it's logo.

3. If there was an app that let you launch instantly into the top 5 activities you spend your free time on, what would the shortcuts or icons on your desktop / mobile device look like for each?

E.G. if one of your favorite passtimes was snowboarding you'd develop a snowboarding icon, and when you press it you're instantly transported to some fresh powder runs on Blackcomb Glacier.
Or if the activity is picking your nose, go there.
Create a set of icons for your life.

4. Create ad campaign posters for products that are no longer being used or are being used less and less. We're talking about old telephones, typewriters, the super 8, betamax etc.
The trick is that they have to make sense in today's world and shouldn't seem out of place on a subway poster or a billboard.

5. This weeks challenge is to redesign Google Search's logo. You have full creative control on when their new logo should look like and their are no restrictions to this weeks challenge.

Paul I searched the forum for the auto (pimp my, etc.) challenges you started, but couldn't find any of them Wrong search terms I guess. Did the titles say challenge?

Can you locate some and put the links here. The other regular challenges are easy to find searching the word "challenge," if anyone is interested. But with the ideas being thrown out, I don't think we'll have to look back for inspiration.

But I would still like to see some of the auto stuff we did. I learned some good techniques.

Found some different search ideas from my file folder. So here's one:
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-contests/35067-week-1-chop-shop-voting-winner.html
Another but I don't know where the images all went. To a voting post? But I cant find the poll . . .
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-contests/34485-challenge-21-a.html

The next one is what I did for a chop shop challenge. This one was my favorite I think, though hard to choose, but I liked my results. I can't think of the person who started it or what it was called, though I named this PIMP_1, but it didn't come up on that search. Anyway, the idea was to take a car and dress it up with commercial signage of some sort.

PIMP_1_original.jpgPIMP_1.jpg

More:

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-contests/35451-week-3-voting-chop-shop-winner.html

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-contests/35653-chop-shop-week-5-competition.html

Last edited:
Yeah i can't remember the titles but theres one you have found, just need to do a brand new one if we ever do that is.

Make a new species.

Combining animals to make a new super-animal.
So think about lionhead, with eagle wings, horse body and snake tail.

Okay, then how about this: make a cake?

The most fabulous, over-the-top, candy canes filled, sparkley cake wins>

True, we have done morphing animals http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-contests/31647-photoshop-challenge-week-3-a.html but that was a long time ago and we have many new members and lots of newbies to PS. So, not a bad idea. Besides, we just combined 2 animals and this is a slightly different take.

We also did the melting idea as part of an auto challenge. I can't find the link but here are the 2 I made: I will have to take a look at Huet's work RTC. Thaks for the idea. This was one of my favorite effects to paly around with. And again, just because we've done one, doesn't mean we shouldn't try it again IMHO. Might do it better and more creatively.

melting_ferrari2.png

lolli_car.jpg

Remember that one Paul? Do you have an example of this or any that you made? It would be fun to see some of the best images again!

OK Aunty Clare, stop being a show-off. I will not! These challenges are a great way not only to learn new or practice old skills, but to learn about each other and have fun doing so. I a glad to see that people are taking part again. We must hound Zee a bit to get her producing some work, don't you think? I remember the first image she ever posted, how do you like that. made some suggestions and redid some parts of the image. She is a cool kook and her GIMP thread and idea to make a GIMP forum are worthy of a PSG medal -- now that I think of it.

Here are a couple of my favorite ideas from the list I made. Some of the others have already been mentioned with cool twists to them.

• Song Inspired Manipulation, poster, design-happy lyrics page, the actual singer in a setting to launch the idea for a utube vid, and so on.
  • HDR experimentation using multiple effects, such as recently seen: HDR basketball player in vibrant color on a B&W BG of fans at a game, just as a for instance.
  • Make yourself a new homepage, whether or not you currently have a website. Fantasy or for real as to what you actually do. Mayb I want to be a real Queen Bee . . .

Thanks everyone so far for all the good idea. I'm amazed at the creative thinking! :thumbsup:

Back