What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iDAD vs. ULTIMAN vs. INKZ vs. iBClare

BC Visuals

RETOUCH BATTLE.

RULES:
All entrants will have 48 hours from the time of this thread to "check in", acknowledging they are ready.
Following everyone's check in, I will supply the image to be retouched.
Entries must be submitted within 48 hours of the picture being posted.
No text is to be submitted with your photo, and no replies/text is to be submitted after you submit your entry. Only voters can speak and critique afterwards.

VOTERS:
ANYONE CAN VOTE!! (except the participants).
You are free to critique all photos, or only the one that you think its the better of the submissions. Either way, explain why you think that person won, this meant for critiquing and giving advice!
ONE POST PER USER. So put all your thoughts in one message. No replying, or conversing with others. We dont want to blow up the thread with crap, just the submissions and the votes.

Votes will be closed 1 week after submissions!

GOOD LUCK to all participants, I'm jealous I'm not in it. LET'S HAVE FUN!

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
Only one day from the pictures being posted that's asking a lot, most have other things to do.

BC Visuals

See the revised above, it will only be a retouching. I will extend to 48 hours though, you are right. Should be more time.

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
I think something like this with the different time zones and peoples plans shoul maybe run on a friday and close on a sunday night.

Inkz

Guru
Time need to be longer...

I'm quite busy but Sunday would work for me.

BC Visuals

I really forgot today was Friday. I'm about to party like a white boy. Is everyone good to start on Sunday? Have it run until Tuesday?

¿I don't think I quite understand what or why this is happening. Who is this for, and why is there a period of acknowledgement?

To make sure everyone gets the same amount of time doing the competition, you would have to give a time on Sunday when you are posting the image, unless you wanted to have 24 hours of grey area.

iDad

Guru
I say forget the time limit, just let it happen. There is no prize to be won anyway... Just leave it open After you post a picture give yourself some time and whoever posts, posts. After you see who competed against whoever with that image pick your winner and post another image just keep the thread going and going.

Ultiman

yeah i think perhaps like sprucemagoo1 said we could have some grey area of time before the image is posted, i know there is now but an official time for posting would be great.

BC Visuals

¿I don't think I quite understand what or why this is happening. Who is this for, and why is there a period of acknowledgement?

To make sure everyone gets the same amount of time doing the competition, you would have to give a time on Sunday when you are posting the image, unless you wanted to have 24 hours of grey area.

I see your point, I agree on setting a time that the image is posted. I didn't think of that. Nice adjustment.

I say forget the time limit, just let it happen. There is no prize to be won anyway... Just leave it open After you post a picture give yourself some time and whoever posts, posts. After you see who competed against whoever with that image pick your winner and post another image just keep the thread going and going.

This structure would be the worst. With a free for all, there would be too much talking back and forth between members and posting just goes on forever, **** never ends. It just becomes a "hey lets all retouch this photo". Scrolling up and down to find a retouched photo to talk about...Some will get lost in the mist of all that is going on. There has to be an end, and it's always easier and more fun to actually go head to head with someone with a winner than there is to just play, screw the rules.

Also, without a time limit, how can there be a winner? Someone could take a month to finish the picture, at that point everyone has forgotten about it. If people would like to actually do these on a regular basis, which I think would be a lot of fun, there has to be a strict time frame. It doesn't have to be a day or 2, but exceeding a week just doesn't make sense.

I'll tell you what you could do as an alternative though...You COULD just post the picture to be used, and anyone who would like can retouch and submit it in the allotted time. But to structure it out for voting/critiquing purposes, would need to create an additional thread with all of the submissions.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
BC, I think one of the issues/confusions here is that it is not clear that you have chosen the participants for this first challenge, the four who are mentioned in the title of this thread. I am assuming that you mean to choose a different four to be the contestants for the next "Battle."

iDad

Guru
If it ever gets started I don't see a problem with the first 4. Who ever it is is going to be confused.

BC Visuals

BC, I think one of the issues/confusions here is that it is not clear that you have chosen the participants for this first challenge, the four who are mentioned in the title of this thread. I am assuming that you mean to choose a different four to be the contestants for the next "Battle."

If it ever gets started I don't see a problem with the first 4. Who ever it is is going to be confused.

My apologies I assumed you all were interested in participating, which is why I put those names in the thread. I was just trying to move it along and get one started to see how it went.

BC Visuals

Clare helped me sum this up...

Participants: idad,, ultiman, inkz, ibclare
Everyone else is invited to vote.
The image will be posted Sunday evening and end in 48 hours. After that, commence voting.

Paul

Former Member
Why only four entrants, makes no sense to me at all?
Surely going with a limited number of entrants limits the longevity of this thread, for me it should be opened up to all members of any skill level.
The one thing i would make a rule would be that all entrance should have made at least ten posts in the forum to qualify.

Ultiman

Why only four entrants, makes no sense to me at all?
Surely going with a limited number of entrants limits the longevity of this thread, for me it should be opened up to all members of any skill level.
The one thing i would make a rule would be that all entrance should have made at least ten posts in the forum to qualify.

Then it becomes less a battle and more a contest. I think the overall feeling that was trying to be captured is one of limited contestants battling it out to become KING OF PS-GURUS! lol. I dont know if that's the true intentions behind this or not but that's how i interpreted the whole endeavor. and in future people can take on the champs in new rounds to take the title. but to be honest im up for anything along these lines, weather it be a community effort or a closed battle.

ibclare

Queen Bee
This thread isn't meant to have longevity Paul. This kind of thing has been done in other forums. A limited number of participants is chosen (btw, I didn't ask to be included, lol) and the work is done within a short period of time. The fact that there are only a few retouched images to judge and none of the participants can judge the work, hopefully allows a large base of members to do the judging. Then in the next contest, it 's my understanding that a different group becomes the participants.

Though I don't know for sure if Ultiman is right in his guess that the winner will be in the next battle with 3 new challengers. Either way I'm OK with it.

The thing about challenges on the forum is that there is room for all types and topics and this one is new to us current members, but the challenge creator makes the rules and the rest of us decide if we want to play or not. Let's just see how it works.

Last edited:

Ultiman

Also because you sign up before hand so to speak, your more likely to end up out side your comfort zone using skills u didn't know u had:p.
So one is not simply entering comps they dominate in, they end up expanding their Photo shop "vocabulary" and learn some things along the way.

BC Visuals

SO WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE IN IT?? I know Ultiman is in. I'm not sure whether iDad Inkz and Clare are...