What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge 10: The Addition of Fractals & Bits n' Bobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand both statements! :rofl:
I love most of these...I just don't get it though.

That is olde fart syndrome...........:confused:

the tattoo dosent look right to me

keeps drawing me in and i dont want to look at that there is so much more above it but i keep going back to it

the body does need something maybe some fragmentation im not sure but as i said i love the top half of this image as usual well done

maybe change the skin even

Missed your comments ego. Not sure what to do about the tattoo. Make it smaller? Lighter? Take it off? I'll play with it. Fragment the body huh. LOL. It's quite a bit of work which I don't feel like doing right now. But I might try it sometime. Maybe I'll just chop off the bottom half.

By change the skin, you're thinking color it some maybe? Give it a texture? The pieces all have a pattern overlay . . .

Thanks for the input, even if I don't do anything for the challenge (but there's time to get back to it) those are some good observations. Thank you.

Don't know if this really fits the challenge. I may try to make one more like example image 5 or 1. They are complex and time intensive designs and absolutely beautiful.

Peacock_Crown_2.jpg

Question: I thought I had my monitors calibrated and now they are off again. Does the color in this look flat? It should also have a greenish brown cast, and I'm only seeing that on one monitor. Aargh.

OK, There was a request by a very distinguished mod that I post something to this. So, here it tis. It has a lot of symbolism and I have tried to follow the rules as best I can. Just a note..we grew the rose that she has between her teeth. We also made the photo of the rose and I PSed, so it doesn't belong to anyone. The only thing that was not a product from my computer was the fractal background. (Oh I forgot..the chinese love symbol)
Web-of-Love.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful rose. Good colors (though I think the lips could be a different, darker shade) and I love the background! I might have made the blue green cast of the model a bit cooler like the BG purple, but I think that is an artistic choice in any case. I think the stem of the rose needs a slight, fuzzy shadow. And though it is likely the original angle of the rose, it would work better for me if it angled more straight with the stem. Looks a bit odd. But that is just as I see it and it doesn't take away from the whole, which I think is lovely. Nicely done Larry.

OK, There was a request by a very distinguished mod that I post something to this. So, here it tis. It has a lot of symbolism and I have tried to follow the rules as best I can. Just a note..we grew the rose that she has between her teeth. We also made the photo of the rose and I PSed, so it doesn't belong to anyone. The only thing that was not a product from my computer was the fractal background. (Oh I forgot..the chinese love symbol)
View attachment 32282
Gee let me guess lol

You are absolutely right about the shadow behind the stem. My bad. Honestly I do not know how it managed to take on that green cast, I did not intend it and did not see it while in PS, but I do now. It may be because the original was in the Adobe 1998 profile and this one was saved for the web and of course converted to sRGB. That may have been an overall error. I'm gonna check. The rose stem is natural to the rose. Thanks for the nice remarks.
Beautiful rose. Good colors (though I think the lips could be a different, darker shade) and I love the background! I might have made the blue green cast of the model a bit cooler like the BG purple, but I think that is an artistic choice in any case. I think the stem of the rose needs a slight, fuzzy shadow. And though it is likely the original angle of the rose, it would work better for me if it angled more straight with the stem. Looks a bit odd. But that is just as I see it and it doesn't take away from the whole, which I think is lovely. Nicely done Larry.

Here is a revision of same.
Web of Love2.jpg

Last edited:
nice effort , the rose is perfect

how did you do that?

i have two of the same image , comments and critism is welcomed

i have both images up which one is the better one

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...tion-fractals-bits-n-bobs.html#post1533641907
ego;
I like some elements in both of them. I like the look of the darker fractures in her face in number 1, but I like the light and shine on the shell in the second one. Lose the green on the face fractures, which is probably just an artistic preference on my part. These are just my opinions, your work is flawless.

Here is the sized down version of the original of the rose. The original was shot in raw and is 2000 pixels wide and at 300ppi. This one was saved for the web via PS, so hopefully it won't lose too much in the transition. My house has roses all down the front, so I have a great supply. I just masked it with pen tool and made a new layer to be able to manipulate it.
Also, her ear ring was made from two of the PS preset custom shapes. A heart and a ribbon. The sparkle in the ear ring to represent a diamond was done with the Topaz Star filter.
Rose1.jpg

Last edited:
WIsh I could grow roses. I had a bush of minis that did well for a number of years . . . living close to the beach makes it harder, but the old lady ( she was old 15 yrs ago, lol) across the street does well. Tends them a lot.

Great job on the earring!

thanks mate for your comments

funnily enough its exactly what i was thinking which is why i posted both

its an easy fix , copy both and reveal the face of the greenless cracked face

great you worked your home grown rose into your image although i was asking about the red rose on her head , ive tried for ages to replicate how you did this but cant get close

done ive added the combined one and i like it now , ITS FINISHED LOL

Last edited:
Here's another fractured or pixelated style that I enjoy making.

fractals_03.png

thanks mate for your comments

funnily enough its exactly what i was thinking which is why i posted both

its an easy fix , copy both and reveal the face of the greenless cracked face

great you worked your home grown rose into your image although i was asking about the red rose on her head , ive tried for ages to replicate how you did this but cant get close

Let me see. I think that firstly masked it, then Ctrl J for a new layer. Then use a BLACK & WHITE adjustment Layer. Click on Tint. Choose a red that suits you, probably needs to be close to 100% Red (R255). Then use a Multiply or Darken blend. You may have to adjust it some more with Hue Sat layer etc. (I really like that B&W Adj as you have a lot of control over which colors you want). That image had a dark cast to the rose in her hair to begin with, so I'm sure I just adjusted until I got what I wanted. No set method.

Here is a pretty close replication using that method.
Rose in hair 2_fashion _Self2.jpg

Last edited:
WIsh I could grow roses. I had a bush of minis that did well for a number of years . . . living close to the beach makes it harder, but the old lady ( she was old 15 yrs ago, lol) across the street does well. Tends them a lot.

Great job on the earring!
Thanks on the earring

The rose bush this came off of has been in the same place for probably 30 years. We don't do anything particular for it, it just produces beautiful red roses. We also have some roses called "knockout" roses. We only put them out last fall and they are just full of blooms right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back