What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Portrait Retouching Challenge

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Mike the young lady (and I do mean young) now on Chris's first post.

Paul

Former Member
Thanks Clare that was sort of the intention, my trouble is i rush everything lately.

ibclare

Queen Bee
IDK about rushing it. The only thing I would like to see on second glance is a bit more of the procelain doll treatment on her neck and chest area. That would complete the impression. Otherwise, I think it is perfect.

Paul

Former Member
Thanks clare it was literally a twenty minute thing :thumbsup:

Tom Mann

Guru
Since Chris is the undisputed master of skin retouching in these parts (especially, with the frequency separation technique), I pretty much ignored her skin, and, instead concentrated on larger scale photography issues such as giving her a better separation from the background by darkening and slightly softening it, un-abashedly changing the color of her hair from a nearly blown-out platinum to a light red, attempting to fix the fairly flat lighting, slenderizing and lifting her face a bit, adding a bit of shadowing under, and blush on her cheekbones, giving her just a bit of the old fashioned glamor glow / stocking-over-the-lens look, etc.

Although I realize that most people don't share my preferences, I prefer skin and hair that is more towards red than yellow, so, since this was a fantasy and I could indulge my own preferences and completely ignore the reality and preferences of the model and/or art director, guess how she wound up. :cheesygrin:

Unfortunately, when I was all done, I went back and discovered that I had forgotten to take care of a couple of things that had been bothering me: the very dark line separating her top and bottom lips is too prominent, and IMHO, her eyeliner is too dark. I didn't feel like putting any more time into this, so I just let these issues stand, but if I ever came back to it ...

T

PS - BTW, I wish the original photo had been more sharp, but all in all, this was a very nice choice, Chris.

PPS - After I stared for a while at my version (with the darkened background), I realized that the phrase that kept going through my head was, "What's an angel-like girl doing in a dungeon." I must confess that this wasn't intentional on my part, but I don't mind that it happened.

Attachments

• petrous_by_natalianaumova-d5d3rr2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_hi_sRGB-01.jpg
    petrous_by_natalianaumova-d5d3rr2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_hi_sRGB-01.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 57

Tom Mann

Guru
BTW, nothing against your very nice and very interesting work, Paul, but FWIW, in the version I posted, I was trying to be true to the request stated by Esther Honig, the journalist/artist who started this:

"The standard of what is considered to be beautiful is geographically relative, varying across cultures on a global level. in a project which manifests these tendencies on a visual scale, journalist esther honig has created a photographic series ‘before & after’, in which she contacted 40 individuals, from more than 25 countries and made a simple request: ‘make me beautiful’. "

IMHO, we do plenty of funny PS edits here on PSG, so, for a change, instead of coming up with a humorous or oddball version, I simply tried to make the subject more beautiful using my own preconceptions about beauty, some of which I explicitly stated in my post.

I don't want to hijack Chris's thread, but I personally think it would be very interesting what each of us would come up with if we all adhered to the original artist's request.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
This was an alternative rendition that I came up with, and was debating whether or not to show it. The more I look at it, the more I like it, so here it is...

Tom

Attachments

• petrous_by_natalianaumova-d5d3rr2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_hi_sRGB-02_dark_edges.jpg
    petrous_by_natalianaumova-d5d3rr2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_hi_sRGB-02_dark_edges.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 53

Tom Mann

Guru
I just had a thought ... Why in the world did we not simply use the photo supplied by Esther Honig?

I haven't done any searches, but I wouldn't be surprised if many people are not already doing exactly that. This could turn into a real widespread viral effort among PS'ers around the world.

T

fotograffiti

Power User
I just had a thought ... Why in the world did we not simply use the photo supplied by Esther Honig?

I haven't done any searches, but I wouldn't be surprised if many people are not already doing exactly that. This could turn into a real widespread viral effort among PS'ers around the world.

T

that's a great idea. But I think the original image can only be found in a rather small size??