What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul

Former Member
Other bigger contest sites do not hide entries for public viewing and they have a great hit rate inclusive of participation, they do however not give the NAME of the entrant until the result is up...

My three bobs worth:thumbsup:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Other bigger contest sites do not hide entries for public viewing and they have a great hit rate inclusive of participation, they do however not give the NAME of the entrant until the result is up...

I'm in agreement not to hide the entries from public viewing. This will encouraging more hits and attract people to the forum if not just only to view the entries.

Intimidation factor could be good.... it adds a motivating factor for others to try and do better.

I think 3 entries per member is too much.... in other contest sites, 2 is the allowed limit. And since most of our participating and competitive members in past challenges create 2 or even more, I say say we give room for 2 ENTRIES....

What I was thinking of having 2 threads for the contest - 1 for the challenge announcement and where creative and curious question/discussion can take place. And the second thread for CONTEST ENTRIES ONLY for public viewing and where the poll voting will take place.

That's a very good suggestion Paul, which I can fully support!:thumbsup:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, I'm advocating here.

dv8 said:
And since most of our participating and competitive members in past challenges create 2 or even more, I say say we give room for 2 ENTRIES....
I disagree that it's most. It's only a few of the more competitive members. And more often than not, it's the members with multiple entries that win.
I have said this over and over, not everyone can create multiple entries. We could be eliminating the participation of those members.

For a year or more now we have been discussing changes to the challenges in order to promote participation. Now that we're trying to do something about it, we keep steering ourselves back to where we were. which was not working out for us.

Again I ask that anyone reading this, if you have not competed in a challenge, now is the time to speak up and tell us why you don't participate.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After seeing the most recent post in the latest challenge, I think we need to drop the hidden entries, it's futile and defeats the originally intended purpose.

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
IamSam said:
My only question would be, is there any way that the viewing stats on these challenges can be checked to see how many of the views are from those that ARE NOT contest participants and our usual daily core members?

Not that I'm aware of.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
After seeing the most recent post in the latest challenge, I think we need to drop the hidden entries, it's futile and defeats the originally intended purpose.

OK.... but what about having separate Challenge announcement thread and Challenge entries thread?

chrisdesign... hang on buddy... Your contest submission will be approved once we settle this matter of the threads....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, if we're going to allow entries to be viewed, then I don't see the purpose..........unless I'm missing something?

We're still going to have the entries in a voting thread the way we always have.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Well, if we're going to allow entries to be viewed, then I don't see the purpose..........unless I'm missing something?

We're still going to have the entries in a voting thread the way we always have.

This will keep whatever friendly banter or how-the-image-was-created discussion within the announcement thread as well as giving a clear, uncluttered view of the entries. Participants are merely required to upload their entries into the image submission thread. (No need for moderator approval) .

Having the separate ENTRY thread eliminates the need for anyone in the mod team to meticulously set up the poll thread at the end of submission deadline. We simply setup and activate the voting/poll permissions.....

Which is why I'm wondering is it necessary to hide the entries only to reveal them during the voting week...

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
OK... Here's what we've come into agreement so far...

1. One entry per member.

2. There will be 2 contests per month - BASIC and ADVANCED.

The BASIC Challenge are for first-time, newcomers to the contests ONLY. The winners are eligible to take part in the ADVANCED Challenges. Winners of past BASIC Challenges are not eligible to take part in succeeding BASIC Challenges. And consequently, those in the ADVANCED category can not take part in BASIC..

3. The Challenges will run for 14 days, the poll is up for 7 days.

4. The winner of a challenge posts the next challenge but has to sit it out.

PENDING.... the contest announcement and submissions thread.

If all is good and everyone agree to the above, I move that the above be added to CONTEST/CHALLENGE RULES......

MrToM

Guru
What happens if the winner doesn't post the next comp before its supposed to begin...or at all?

Its happened before.

If it goes to someone else would they have time to create one before the start date considering the allotted time would have already elapsed waiting for the winner to submit ?

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
What happens if the winner doesn't post the next comp before its supposed to begin...or at all?

Its happened before.

If it goes to someone else would they have time to create one before the start date considering the allotted time would have already elapsed waiting for the winner to submit ?

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

It has happened before.....

In this case, the mod team will have to come up with something to keep it fair so no one has a head start on the rest of the competition.

But whoever comes up with the idea (MOD or non-MOD) is required to sit it out and not take part.....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
One more thing.... if in the event the previous winner has hit a wall as to what to come up with for a new challenge, it is fine for he or she to reach out to the members to ask for suggestions.....

Addendum .... I think we have to add a time frame for the winner to come up with a new challenge.

Will ONE WEEK do? This way, the challenges will be like a once in a month affair for both categories.....

1st day of the month will be the start of ADVANCED, 15th for BASIC....

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This will keep whatever friendly banter or how-the-image-was-created discussion within the announcement thread as well as giving a clear, uncluttered view of the entries. Participants are merely required to upload their entries into the image submission thread. (No need for moderator approval) .

Having the separate ENTRY thread eliminates the need for anyone in the mod team to meticulously set up the poll thread at the end of submission deadline. We simply setup and activate the voting/poll permissions.....

Which is why I'm wondering is it necessary to hide the entries only to reveal them during the voting week...
OK, I understand what your talking about, this works for me.

Helios

5. Announcements will be made as reminders for all members to vote. An announcement will be posted when the Challenge starts that runs the whole 14 days. Another announcement will be put up when the voting starts that runs the whole 7 days.

I'm now wondering about this part of the new proposals - I am still in agreement with it, but I first read it as being about posting special, prominent announcements in addition to the challenge thread/submission thread etc. Is this right and it's just still in the pipeline for now?

If not, I was actually thinking of a banner at the top of the home page or similar. I really feel we need to draw more people's attention to the contest threads, as they currently just sit amongst everything else, quite far down the home page, and could be easily missed.

Is this something that can be achieved through the forum software without too much changing around of the site organisation?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Helen, the announcement for Challenge 33 went up early yesterday.

You will find them at the top of each Forum. Here's the one for the General Photoshop Board.......
Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 7.53.47 AM.png

Helios

Right, sorry! I totally didn't see them - this is mainly due to the nature of how I browse the forums; I hardly ever click on individual forums, just the home page and threads of interest that are linked from there. I guess that could just be me, I'm happy to accept I'm a bit odd, lol. ;)

However, if it can be a site wide announcement (ie showing up on the home page as well) I strongly recommend doing this.

Last edited: