What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adding printed effect to fonts

fbech

Hello, is there a way or filter to give fonts this effect? like they been scan after printing.

printedj.jpg

cheers

Tom Mann

Guru
Sure - it's easy to get the basics: grain/noise and the slight defocused look, and I'm sure someone will post exactly how they would add these efx.

That being said, there are other characteristics of the image that need to be replicated for a completely accurate look including missing inkjet dots within each letter, and errant dots from the inkjet near each letter, what appears to be slight texture to the paper. In addition, there is a slight bit of chromatic aberration.

If no one beats me to it, I'll be happy to demonstrate how to do these effects when I get home late tonight and can use my Photoshop computer.

Tom M

Inkz

Guru
Someone beat you to it Tom...lol...

Very nice RT, maybe add the panel settings on how you achieved this.

RTContent

Power User
Well I didn't save the psd but this is how I did it.

First use whatever type you require (obviously). Rasterize then add a slight Gaussian blur. Create a new layer and Render - Clouds. I then set the Blending mode of the text layer to diffuse and added one of the default textures over the top that kinda looked like paper.

This creates a pretty uniform looking type, but like Tom said you'll need to go over by band and create those little imperfections if you want it to look genuine.

Tom Mann

Guru
RTC, that's really excellent! (and, it's almost exactly how I would have done it).

If I was really attempting to produce a simulation as close as humanly possible to the original, the only other thing I might have done would be to add just a smidgen of simulated chromatic aberration. The background just above each dark area is a bit warmer than a pure white, but cooler below each area of dark pixels.

Cheers,

Tom

RTContent

Power User
RTC, that's really excellent! (and, it's almost exactly how I would have done it).

... the only other thing I might have done would be to add just a smidgen of simulated chromatic aberration.

Funny that you mention that because I did that as well, but once I overlaid a paper texture it made it redundant so I thought I wouldn't mention that step.