What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop for video: cannot complete rendering after a NIK filter applied.

Pansottin

Hi,
this my first post.
I saw recently a video (YTube) with Scott Kelby called "7 Steps for Photographers on Editing Video in Adobe Photoshop CC".

After importing a small 30 seconds sequence from a Canon 5DMIII, convert the sequence For Smart Filters and applied a NIK/Google filter (testes with Silver Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4) Photoshop cannot complete the rendering process. Freezes or simply shut down. Non particular error message.

The process works with the regular Photoshop filters, like, artistic, blur, etc.
The problem occur with NIK filters ,-(

I don´t think its a RAM problem because I´m working with a 6 cores Mac Pro with 16 GB Ram and plenty of memory to work with Photoshop and even with other apps closed.

Any help please?
Thank you very much in advance for your support.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Quick question, do the NIK filters work when you don't use them as smart filters?

Pansottin

Thank you for your interest in my problem.
If one does´t convert the video sequence for Smart Filters, I guess any filter (Nik or not Nik) the filter will be applied just to the first frame of the sequence.
Only after the conversion to Smart Filters one can apply a filter to the entire video clip.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Allow me to re-phrase, do the NIK filters work on a single image jpg (not video) that's not been converted to a smart object? How about a single image that has been converted?

Another question, what does technical say over at NIK/Google? Have you contacted them?

Are you using the current/updated versions?

Pansottin

Works with single images with or without Smart Filter conversion.
The problem is only to render a video sequence.
Nik didn´t answer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for your answers. It seems this is specific to the video clip. I'm still searching for a possible cause for this issue as I have not encountered it before.

I'm hoping that another member here will be more familiar with the issue and chime in............this may take awhile.

I'm very curious as to whether this occurs when using other 3rd party filter plugins like Topaz. Again, hopefully another member with a different filter will put this to the test on a video clip.

In the end, I fear this is an issue with NIK and your best bet for a solution will be with their tech support.

Sorry I was not of more help!

Pansottin

Thank you. I´ll wait a bit more for any Nik support.
Don´t know if there anything to do with video codecs/compression?
I´m using a .mov (H.264) file from the camera without any transcode. Maybe I should transcode first the video file to a less compressed/delivery oriented format like Apple Pro Res? Apple Pro Res is a format for proper edition. H.264 is for delivery. Worth a try?
Thanks again for you help.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Definitely worth a try! I had considered formatting but had no way of testing it and was reading (slowly) further on the matter.
Please post your findings as I'm curious if it makes a difference. My guess is that it probably wont. I hope I'm wrong!

Pansottin

I´ll share my test results. Thanks.

Is there any dedicated Photoshop for Video Forum? I cannot find...

No luck. With Apple Pro Res 422 LT the result is the same.
Its maybe a Nik problem.

Last edited:

Pansottin

Nik´s feedback:
"As it turns out, the latest version of the Nik Collection is not optimized to process videos on Photoshop CC 2014 at the moment. However, please make sure that your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is up to date since HDR Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4 and Analog Efex Pro 2 take advantage of the GPU of the computer system."