What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to launch old plug-ins

maxim255

I have a many lovely plug-ins which I collected previous years. Some even are paid. But most of these plug-ins are old 32bit plug-ins. And new modern Photoshop 64bit doesnt support more 32bit plug-ins.Many plug-ins are unique and their manufacturers dont more produce new versions and often abandon to support their plug-in and maybe no more exist. But I would like to use old 32bit plug-ins into new 64bit Photoshop too because many tools are very helpful and there is not an alternative. I believe, I'm not first how met this problem and some solution should exist. Somebody know a solution?

MrToM

Guru
All the 64bit versions of PS I've ever used all come with a 32bit version as well....the option to install it as well is available on installation.

You haven't given any info on OS or PS version but as far as PS CS6, PS CC and PS CC 2014 running on a Windows machine thats the case.

You won't lose any functionality using the 32bit version and once you've done what you need to do you can just save it and then re-open it in the 64bit version.

Regards.
MrTom.

maxim255

MrTom, Your suggestion has reason in case of windows version of Photoshop. Even it is uncomfortable but this way can be used sometime. But in case of Mac.. Hm,.. in case of Mac it needs also to exit from Photoshop and launch the photoshop in 32bit mode because it is universal bundle.

Maybe there is some tool what lets to launch 32bit plug-in inside of 64bit photohsop without Photohsop relaunching?

MrToM

Guru
Maybe there is some tool what lets to launch 32bit plug-in inside of 64bit photohsop without Photohsop relaunching?

32bit Photoshop uses 32bit plug-ins.
64bit Photoshop uses 64bit plug-ins.

Thats the fact, Jack. (Stripes 1981)

The latest versions of Photoshop come in both flavours for this very reason....why else would you want to use 32bit if not for continued use of existing, and paid for, plug-ins?

Regards.
MrTom.

maxim255

why else would you want to use 32bit
Friendly speak, I would to use old 32bit plug-ins in non-photoshop editors. I hope maybe somebody knows a tool what lets to execute photoshop plug-ins without installed photohsop? I dont belive what some kind of software still not exist

MrToM

Guru
Well, with all due respect that's a totally different question to how I read your original post.

Maybe a Mac user can help you then, (if indeed, you use a Mac), ....I'm unsure as to what the question is now.

Regards.
MrTom.

maxim255

It is not exactly what I hope to hear but thank in any way for your willingness to help. I'll try to ask this question on some other Mac forums. If some interesting will be found then I promise to inform you to

MrToM

Guru
No worries maxim255.

There are very experienced Mac users here, somewhere....hang on for a while and I'm sure one will turn up eventually....they do get rather busy.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Friendly speak, I would to use old 32bit plug-ins in non-photoshop editors. I hope maybe somebody knows a tool what lets to execute photoshop plug-ins without installed photohsop? I dont belive what some kind of software still not exist
To my knowledge, nothing like this exists. I believe you could be wasting your time. My question is [highlight]why would you want to run 32 bit Photoshop plugins without Photoshop?[/highlight] As MrTom has already explained, you can run your older plugins on a new version of Photoshop. Even on a Mac.
https://www.google.com/#q=Running+Photoshop+in+32+bit+mode+on+a+Mac

maxim255

It was a good idea to refer to Google, IamSam. Just it was needed to use different requests some like "launch+32bit+photoshop+plugins+under+64bit+Photohsop" or "Photoshop+plugins+under+Lightroom". In end of ends it gave a suitable solution. (it should exist because it is interested for many people not only for me)

plugin2pds64.png

here is a link on some tool for working with Photoshop's plug-ins even without Photohsop. (if the direct link breaks the forum policy then link can be deleted. In any way anybody can easily to find this tool in google self). Also the description says what it contains a "bridge" for using 32bit plug-ins under 64bit Photoshop without photoshop relaunching. It needs to test is it more convenient than to relaunch photohsop or it is disputable.

maxim255

I spent some time and play with LaunchBox tool (I tested Mac version, and I used PSD CC5 and OSX 10.6.8 ) and as I promised I can say a couple words about my impressions. It works as it is declared. It indeed lets to launch 32bit plug-ins under 64bit Photoshop. But not directly from "Filter" menu unfortunately. It contain a special plug-ins "AlphaPlugins 32bit Bridge" and this plug-in is presented in Photoshop 64 Filters menu. And only when I launch this "Bridge" plug-in when this plug-in replaces the Photoshop Filters menu with new Filters menu what contains a list of 32bit plug-ins. Before to use this tool it needs to setup the Bridge plug-in and set a list of folders where 32bit plug-ins are stored.
Then, it lets to work with 32bit plug-ins as with normally plug-ins from "Filter" menu. Only one plug-in can be chosen from new Filter menu and after a 32bit plug-in will be applied (or canceled) then old 64bit plug-ins Filter menu is restored.

I can conclude what this way of launching 32bit plug-ins inside of Photohsop 64 is more quick and convenient than to relaunch Photohsop in 32bit mode. But this way is little unusual and requires few additional steps.

PS. As a bonus, After I installed the LaunchBox with all this components I also can use Photoshop plug-ins under iPhoto and Lightroom. And it lets to launch also 64bit plug-ins under Lightroom because I think 64bit plug-ins as usual contain and 32bit binary part in one bundle.

Maybe, later I'll test and windows version also.