What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It looks like Fractalius is back ... this time, from Topaz

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Guess this would be good for folks running Macs . Redfield only runs on Windows I believe.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is the first link working for everyone else?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now its working!

Oh great................nothing like reviving an overused and outdated effect. Sorry, not a fan.

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Now its working!

Oh great................nothing like reviving an overused and outdated effect. Sorry, not a fan.

Me either really but I have the old one. There was a thread here the other day where a poster had a Mac and was wanting a similar filter. This would do the job for him

Tom Mann

Guru
IamSam -

Believe it or not, Fractalius is one plugin I don't own, LOL. I never bought a copy, and the reason is exactly what you said.

I keep thinking (maybe, even secretly hoping, LOL) that there must be some use for it, but even being well aware of it, there has not been one single time that I ever thought I could use this effect, either for my event / PR work at school or my documenting / advertising work for the county fire and medical service, or even my personal photography. It's just such an "in your face" effect. I'm sure there are photographers / graphic designers that have used it to good effect, but, like you guys, it just isn't me. Maybe it's for the folks who reproduce images on black velvet and sell them out of the back of their SUV's along the side of the road.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking at it ... kinda like pretty girls, LOL.
ALB68 - You're right. I think the OP in that thread was looking for a Mac version. I'll try to dig it up and post a message just in case he's still monitoring it.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, I just downloaded a 30 day free trial version. If nothing else, it has a ton of adjustments, and it's fun!

In fact, I think I'm going to run all my annotated screen shots through it to add some class to my responses to forum questions. They'll look like Illuminated manuscripts in some alien language, but I'll just blame it on the forum uploading software.

"Whaddya mean, it's hard to read? I can read it just fine."

:rofl:

T

Attachments

• reset_ACR_defaults-ps01a-02_Topaz_glow_efx.jpg
    reset_ACR_defaults-ps01a-02_Topaz_glow_efx.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

TimothyKim

Tom: I've been using Topaz Glow on my Mac and it works great for specific graphical projects. It is very well designed, flexible and user friendly. I got a deal on it for $49.00. By the way, I don't do trucker elvis velvet art. Topaz Glow is an excellent graphical tool and I thank you for the tip. TimothyKim

Hoogle

Guru
I actually prefer the topaz version I started of with the trial a while back but in its early days it was so buggy I had to remove it but the latest version seems to be ok, I have noticed the sensetivity of adjustments are not as fine tweakable as they were.

Yes the hard core fractalius effect is ott but just some subtle effects really can make some images pop without knowing it is fractalius. And I think Topaz are focusing more on that just look at their example images.

Tom Mann

Guru
Tom: I've been using Topaz Glow on my Mac and it works great for specific graphical projects. It is very well designed, flexible and user friendly. I got a deal on it for $49.00. By the way, I don't do trucker elvis velvet art. Topaz Glow is an excellent graphical tool and I thank you for the tip. TimothyKim
Perhaps I was a bit too harsh when joking around about it. After playing around with the trial version, I purchased it and am having fun as I am getting more experience with it, but haven't yet used it for any real projects in the way that you and Chris mentioned. Maybe I'll sneak some of it into some of the fire service work I do. Those guys should love it. :)

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - Timothy, Chris, if you have any examples of how you have used without it being overwhelming, I would love to see some of your work.

Tom, I didn't buy Topaz Glow.
What I mentioned in my post are only my personal thoughts about this software. I have not seen a subtle application in digital images up to now, mostly it's like a stamp pressed brutally over the whole image.

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahh ... Sorry, Chris. I was reading and typing too fast: It was Hoogle, not you that commented on using it in a subtle way.

T

TimothyKim

Tom: Currently, I am working on a Logo for my non-profit. A key element of the logo is a white Lotus blossom which I will use Topaz Glow. When finished, I'll be happy to send you a before and after. Should I use this same Reply button when it's done or a different email address? Thx, TimothyKim

Tom Mann

Guru
Excellent! If you are comfortable posting it publicly (...watermarked, if you want), I'll bet all our regulars would love to see it and possibly it will prompt a nice further discussion of how to use the plugin tastefully. If you dont feel comfortable posting your work publicly, send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address and it won't see the light of day.

Cheers,

Tom M

MikeMc

McGuru
I too got it on sale....Tremendous amount of adjust ability. What I like to do is masking and using totally different settings make a major contrast between for and back grounds.....I've been doing some football shots with a bud, I can't post the images here ...yet

TimothyKim

Tom & PSGurus: Here is an example of what Topaz Glow can do. I used a Lotus Blossom using preloaded Glow settings for my logo which added the surrealistic effect I was looking for: RawLotus.jpg to my final composite Lotus: YogaLogoFinal.jpgto final Logo YogaMatsFinalLogoBig.jpg This pic won't upload bigger, oh well

Attachments

• YogaMatsFinalLogo.jpg
    YogaMatsFinalLogo.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 6
  • YogaMatsFinalLogo.jpg
    YogaMatsFinalLogo.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 6

Tom Mann

Guru
That's really quite nice! Thank you for posting such a good example, Tim.

Best regards,

Tom