What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is this focus effect achieved?

MichaelL

Hello,

I need to reproduce the banner on top without the white overlay from the source photo underneath it. How is the blurring/depth of field effect achieved?
Thank you.

- Michael

banner-about.jpg014_Greeting_S_033.jpg

Hi and welcome.

Crop the image.
Add a blur to the image. Probably and Iris blur.
On a new layer, use the rectangular marquis tool to create the rectangle.
Fill the rectangle with white.
Lower the white filled rectangle layers opacity to your liking.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll try the iris blur. It looks like there is some kind of effect that is adding definition on top of the blur.

After some experimenting, I'm now thinking it was just the blur tool.

Yeah, there's some softening going on and some color changes. I'm not going to try to match it exactly.

But I believe the depth of field blurring was just done with the blur tool.

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.59.17 PM.png

I also did not clone the lady out.

Last edited:
Your welcome.

I also think there is a drop shadow (layer style) on the white rectangle.

Original
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 3.06.13 PM.png

Mine (not in the image I have above.......this was a hindsight)
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 3.05.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't actually want the white layer which is the problem. I need to recreate the photo without the white overlay.

Thanks, I don't actually want the white layer which is the problem. I need to recreate the photo without the white overlay.

That's simple enough, all you need to do is skip the creation of the rectangle.

The most noticeable DoF-like blurring effect that I see is on the left-most subject, with less blur applied elsewhere in the frame. The technique I would use for this is the lens blur filter plus an appropriate depth map. This is explained well here:
http://www.psdbox.com/tutorials/photoshop-depth-maps-realistic-depth-of-field

The other subjects are also softened, but to a lesser degree. This could be done all in one step with the lens blur filter, or in two steps, one to soften the entire image, and a second to add a DoF-like effect to the guy on the left.

HTH,

Tom M

Back