What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a plugin: resize image with ruler.

wallym

Been pretty much told to get out the calculator, since ps doesn't have this... Like to match image size to a drawing. Doesn't need to be physically resized just measurement wise. so that by measuring an eye say on the art work, i can use the ruler tool and measure the eye and right there enter a new distance that will resize entire file to correct proportions. When i Print out the file it will be the same Physical size of the drawing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrToM

Guru
This may sound like a stupid suggestion but why don't you just set the output size of the whole image to that of the real painting / drawing / sketch or whatever it is?

So for instance if the the real thing is a drawing 12" x 20" then adjust the PS image to an output size of 12" x 20" by way of IMAGE > Image Size.

image_size_A_01.png

Everything within the PS image would then be exactly the same size as the original when printed.

That would be easier wouldn't it?

Or have I missed the point?

Regards.
MrTom.

wallym

Yeah.... The thing is my drawing edges are not defined (think vinetted) so the only way is using internal measurements... Make sense?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I think I get what you're asking. But unfortunately, I don't know of a plugin that does this automatically. But someone here may know of one......

If I were to do this, I would increase the image size in increments until I get to the size needed for print. Hold up the drawing (or a ruler) against the monitor to see if it matches.

Take note, the PS ruler when viewed in Actual Pixels isn't that accurate - 1 inch in normal 100% PS view is not actually one inch in real world measurement. So in the navigator, I key in 130% to compensate. It might be different on your monitor so you have to adjust + - to suit. This will ensure the viewing accuracy so you can cross check the PS image to the drawing properly.

Printing is another thing - You may have to do a test print to see if the resized image is to the spec you need. If not, you increase or decrease..... either via print setting or on the PS work document.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah.... The thing is my drawing edges are not defined (think vinetted) so the only way is using internal measurements... Make sense?..
No not really.

I don't see why the contents of the drawing stop you from measuring how wide it is.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
dv8

You could use View > Print Size as long as the preferences have been set up correctly.

Its very accurate.....to within a pixel on your monitor.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@dv8

You could use View > Print Size as long as the preferences have been set up correctly.

Its very accurate.....to within a pixel on your monitor.

Regards.
MrTom.

That also works. But out of habit, I always end up doing what I mentioned above... lol.

Best regards....
MrHardHabitToBreak......

hawkeye

Guru
Use the ruler tool. Set it for a custom scale to match the PPI of the image, Measure the eye, say it measures 1/2 inch and the original measures 1 inch. Then all you need to do is change the size by 100% to make them match. The math won't be quite that simple I'm sure, but it isn't difficult either.

wallym

you got it hawkeye, sometimes the drawing will be quite cropped and be with undefined white space vs the file which has a totally different edge to edge width...and its hard to crop it to the draig since its all whitespace and background. Back to the simple math...it just that sometimes different features will be off in their size and requires me to reprint again and again...having this feature woullld e a time savior. It would be like to others if their wasnt a lock constraint on resize width/heigth wasnt a feature in PS.....just do the math its easy! lol.
I guess if I cropped the image from say, ear to ear, measured the original, resized and noted the %, then went back and uncropped and then resized. then....arghhh.
Thanks everyone for pondering..it made me think about it too! I'll try all suggestions and see what is the fastest!

hawkeye

Guru
Scan the original and place it on its own layer with the one you are editing. Reduce opacity and transform to match, or try auto-align layers. Change the blend mode on one layer to Difference, when it turns the image totally black you have a perfect match.

Last edited:

wallym

ah-ha! ill take a pictur of the drawing with a yardstick. then in photoshop crop it at any even number and input that on resize!! thanks for helping think this through hawkeye!!!