What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do this effect?

ahgrafx

Wondering how to do this black and white line effect, used to be able to do it years ago
thanks

Attachments

• photoeffect.JPG
    photoeffect.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 61

Paul

Former Member
Just did a quick Google of this image a lot of people claim to be the owner of it?

Stencils seem to be the way here not Photoshop - not saying shop can't mimic it but your image is a stencil effect usually passed off by street artists.

ahgrafx

yes im aware that it is a stencil effect, I create stencils and sell them myself. I believe the links your finding on google images are where they have just posted a link to the girls shop on etsy. that is where I got this image but she hasnt responded to me yet

Tom Mann

Guru
There are several ways one can easily get line-like / stencil effects, e.g.,

PS-Filter-sketch-halftone_pattern-line

Line_effects-_0002_Filter-sketch-halftone_pattern-line.jpg

PS-Filter-Wind-overlaid_on_original:
Line_effects-_0000_Filter-Wind-overlaid_on_original.jpg

Commercial plugin from Alpha: "Engraver":

Line_effects-_0001_Alpha_software-Engraver.jpg

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - Obviously, to exactly reproduce the effect in the photo that you posted, one can't use any of the above effects "as is". It would have to be modified by all the usual methods, eg, blending modes, levels and curve adjustments, painting on layer masks, use of the layer BlendIF sliders, etc.

ahgrafx

Thanks everyone found out it is through converting to a bitmap then going to halftone screen lines and messing with the settings

Tom Mann

Guru
Good point that converting to bitmap is another very effective alternative. VanDerLee's "Halftone" is yet another. I've even seen a TV scan-line generator plugin (Rosenman's) used to generate stencil-like effects, and there are many, many other options. However, it is rare that the default settings on any of them will do exactly what you want and do what is needed/appropriate for a particular image -- you're lucky if all you have to do is tweak the settings on that filter and not tweak the blending modes and other adjustments I mentioned above.

Since the OP didn't post his results using the bitmap-halftone(line) approach, I thought I would show two of the crazier and wonderful effects one can get out of the bitmap approach. The options are almost endless.
Grayscale-bitmap-line_screen-01.png

Grayscale-bitmap-line_screen-02-900dpi-22lpi-01.jpg

Tom M

Last edited: