What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with perspective distortion when wrapping around an object

yarek

Hi guys,

I've been using Photoshop for a very long time, but I didn't manage to come up with any useful and easy solution of my problem. I often need to wrap something around a cylinder-shaped object (like a bottle or a can). Creating arc is not an issue: I use Wrap Command with "Arch" option. But those of you who use this feature a lot know that it's only a halfway step for creating realistic distortion.

I created some picture to show you what I mean:
Untitled-1.jpg

As you can see, the cylinder on the left has a mesh created with "Arch" option (without any perspective distortion). The cylinder on right is something I aim for, but I don't know how to achieve this kind of mesh distortion. I know it can be done manually, but editing the grid always brings me more problems than... you know.

Do you know how to solve this problem? Maybe there is some plugin for that? I'd really appreciate every tip. I work in Photoshop CS6 version.

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Sam's link shows you the "right" way to do it, but, to use this method, you need to be familiar with the 3D capabilities and tools in PS.

However, if you can be happy with an approximate solution (ie, doesn't go all the way to the edge) that only requires conventional 2D Photoshop, the effect you are dealing with is sometimes referred to as anamorphosis / anamorphic distortion by the Tiffen DFX plugin suite, and "volume deformation" by DxO's "View Point" plugin. These plugins are sometimes used by photographers and videographers to either try to minimize the distortion (ie, very unflattering fattening ) of people at the edges of wide angle frames, or intentionally introduce distortion. Here is what one can do with two applications of the DxO tool.

HTH,

Tom M

Anamorphosis-volume_deformation-for_GIF.gif

Last edited: