What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with the Paint Daubs filter

J PhotoArt

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and posted a brief intro in the introduction section. I hate to jump right in with an issue, and I hope this is the right place to post; if not my apologies. I use Photoshop CC 2014 and frequently use the Paint Daubs filter on certain photos, and the effect renders perfectly, until recently. All of a sudden when go to the Paint Daubs filter (and other filters may possibly behave oddly, as I haven't checked them all) and look at the preview, it's applying a completely different effect -- this faulty effect is added to the image and is not limited to the preview if I click "OK", so it's not just a faulty preview.

The issue is not with the filter settings as they are set right where I always use them. Even if I change the settings, some weird effect is still in progress (it resembles more of a glass texture) the effect is not rendered even close to what the effect normally is. What is strange beyond that is that in the very top part of the screen, there is a tiny strip where the effect IS rendered correctly (or much closer.) I am going to attach a screen shot and point out what I am talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated. :) I drew some arrows pointing to the small strip at top where the effect is in tact. View attachment 59139

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I use 2014 and mine is fine...although I don't use Win10.

Are the image dimensions excessively large?

Have you reset the preferences file?
(Make a back-up first so if it doesn't fix it you can revert back to your working set.)

Other than that....a gfx driver issue...maybe...could be anything really.

PS is a world of mystery.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Can't promise it'll do anything but worth a try.....I'm struggling to think of what else it could be.

Like I say its OK for me here but I'm on Win7 and I doubt very much the image I'm using is the same size as your example...so that could be the issue....I dunno.

Usually its something obvious but when it comes to filters its a bit more tricky to pin down.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
Just had a thought...

Have you transformed the image at all...in particular up-scaling?

If so, using anything but 'Nearest Neighbour' will undoubtedly produce transparent pixels around the edge.

Even so, check you don't have any transparency around the edge of the image.....in fact anywhere in the image really....you can use the INFO panel to check this....it may not be visible to the naked eye so use the INFO panel to make absolutely sure...ANY transparency could be having an effect.

Just a thought.

Last edited: