What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do this photo effect?

toejklemme

Hi there... I new to Photoshop, and i am currently reading and watching alot of photoshop tutorials. But i have not yet come across a tutorial which taught to create an effect similar to the one in the picture i attached. Can anyone guide me to a tutorial or some tips on how to get this effect on my own photos?

Thanks!

photoeffect.png

Put a new layer on top of the image and fill it with the the color you picked up in the black parts of the attached image. Change the blend mode of this layer to screen.

party before.jpg party after.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
In addition to the lifting and tinting of the darker areas, I see several other effects in this image. For example, two other important effects are the vignetting (darkening of the edges), and the lighting used (ie, well above the camera). Both of these were likely done in-camera. That's why I wanted to see what sort of photo you want to start with. For example, starting with a photo from a small, on-camera flash would make it very, very difficult to get the shadows to look like they do in the example photo using Photoshop or other software.

Tom M