What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a Photoshop plugin with additional transform resampling filters?

doubleubee

I'm from a VFX background (working with compositors) and I'm fairly new to Photoshop. I notice when performing transforms that there are only a few resampling options available (Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear and some Bicubic variants). Is there a plugin available to provide additional filters (e.g. Lanczos, Sinc)?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm certainly not the last word in this, but I haven't seen any 3rd party transform tools that offer Hermite, Lanczos, etc. algorithms. About the closest thing I've seen are some plugins that do simple image scaling (ie, without the other, more general transforms) but do offer a choice of algorithms.

Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging. Maybe someone else will know of some.

Cheers,

Tom M

Jerry D

Power User
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Jerry - Maybe I'm interpreting the OP's request too literally, but I thought he was requesting a tool that does other afine transforms (eg, perspective, tilts, etc.), not just scaling / resizing.

I own, and love Photo Zoom Pro, but it definitely only does straight scaling. I had never heard of the other one you mentioned, but it appears that it is also only for scaling.

We'll see what the OP says.

Tom M

Jerry D

Power User
My bad:banghead: I should learn to keep out of technical discussions

doubleubee

Thanks for your speedy responses on this. Sorry for my own delay - I haven't been able to get back to a computer for a while. I'll reply to your posts above to clarify.

doubleubee

Thank Tom. I am after tools to give improved resampling options for general transforms (rotate, skew, etc.). I notice that you can combine multiple transforms by using a smart object so that each transform adjustment just updates the initial transform which is great for avoiding gradual image degradation but the resultant transform still has to go through one of those standard resampling options (bilinear/bicubic) in the end.

doubleubee

Thanks Jerry for mentioning scaling only plugins. I've seen that there are an impressive array of those and would appreciate some advice there too. I'll post a new thread about that. I can imagine it's an area where there's a lot of interest.

Oh, I'm currently using Windows but I use Mac too so I'd be interested in plugins for both platforms.

Thanks again,

WB