What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D I'm having problems merging 3D layers

Hi, I'm new to Photoshop Gurus.com and I was hoping somebody could help me. I've had a look through other threads and haven't found my answer.

I am using Photoshop CS6 and I am trying to merge multiple 3D layers.
This is what I have so far:
e-l-tru_pre_merge.jpg
All of the 3D letters/characters are on separate layers. My plan is to merge all the 3D layers into one layer so that I can adjust the light on all the 3D objects at once. My problem is that when I merge the layers I get something like this:

e-l-tru_post_merge.jpg

I realise I could adjust the light source on each layer to be in roughly the same position as each other but I would like to be able to adjust just one light source on all my objects at once.

I have searched other sites. Some suggested merging only two 3D layers together at a time. I tried that with similar results. A couple of results I got were just bizarre. I also read that holding down shift while selecting "merge 3D layers" from the menu would keep my 3D objects looking how they do before I merge them. I tried that a few times making sure I was holding down shift long enough etc.

Some extra info that might help.
The scenes I think they're called are all different on all the layers. Like the ground plane on each layer is different.

Is there a way around this?

This is my first time posting on here so if the images in this post stay small I have the links to the two images I'm talking about here:

[I was not allowed to post links to my images here until I have made 5 other posts but can provide them if necessary.]

Thank you in advance for reading this. If there is anymore info I can provide in helping to solve this problem please let me know.
Cheers.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi At and welcome!

From what I can tell from your photo's, your dashes are out of position. You may have to create them on their own separate 3D layers.

You can only merge 2 3D layers at a time. Merge 2 then add another to the newly merged layer...and so on. I don't know about holding the shift key during a merge process.

Once 3D layers have been merged you can still manipulate them independently of one another. In the photo below, I have 2 letters, an E and a G, that were created separately and extruded. I then merged the two together using 3D>MERGE 3D LAYERS. As you can see in the 3D panel, after they have been merged, you can select (highlight) either letter and manipulate them separately. However, since they both have been merged into one layer, any changes I make to the light source will appear on both letters.

Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 4.11.18 PM.png

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply IamSam. When I merge even just two layers together like the "E" and the first "-" the "E" shifts position. Or if I merge another two layers together another 3D object moves out of position. Every 3D character is on its own layer, even each "-" and ".". I was wondering if there is a way of merging the layers together without the objects shifting position. (I just got my 3D objects exactly where I want them you see :D) If there isn't a way around it I will just have to merge the 3D layers together and then reposition my 3D objects. It's no biggie I suppose I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to do it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have experimented with this problem and I can't seem to get the letters and dashes to "reposition" when I merge the 3D layers.

AT said:
I just got my 3D objects exactly where I want them you see

I do see and understand! Hehee. It is an inconvenience, but you may have to re-position your letters and dashes after the merge.

There may be an easier way that I'm not aware of and hopefully someone else will chime in with an idea.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Good Luck though!

Hehe Trust me to get the Photoshop with 3D-unrequested-repositioning. That's just my luck. :) I am going to have to bite the bullet. I'm going to save what I have as a jpg, merge my 3D layers and then use my jpg as a reference while I reposition my objects. Oh the torment :mrgreen:

I still wonder if its because the ground planes on each layer are in different positions. I'm sure as soon as I click "post reply" and merge my layers together someone will know of a quicker solution lol

Thank you for trying IamSam!

In my original post I said I was using Photoshop CS6 but I'm actually using Photoshop CS6 Extended. I don't know if the two versions do 3D differently but just in case I thought I should mention it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
AT said:
I still wonder if its because the ground planes on each layer are in different positions.
You know, that's not a bad diagnosis! In all the experimenting I did, I used the same ground plane for all my lettering............hummmmm.

AT said:
In my original post I said I was using Photoshop CS6 but I'm actually using Photoshop CS6 Extended. I don't know if the two versions do 3D differently but just in case I thought I should mention it.
I'm fairly certain that 3D only comes in CS extended versions. I'm running CS6 Extended.

May you only suffer minimal torment! :banghead:

Haha minimal torment accomplished. I "bit the bullet" and merged my 3D layers together. I started by merging and repositioning the "E" and the first "-". Then I merged the "E" and "-" layer with the "L" layer but the "E" did the "repositioning" thing again. Figuring this may happen every time I merge a new layer I undid the first merging and then merged all my 3D layers together at once. Here's a jpg of my newly merged and positioned where I like 3D objects along with the same light shining on all of them.
e-l-tru_post_merge2.jpg
I also figured out how to turn off the shadows on the ground plane which I am very happy about.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This looks great AT! Sorry it's been a pain in the patootie. I'm still experimenting and I don't seem to have a problem with the merged layers re-positioning. I don't know why your having this issue. Oh well, as long as your happy with the results.