What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Eastiest Photoshop 3D question of all time

DR01D

The Problem:
3d view shows black object, not the mesh or material applied to it.

Steps:
#1 Create layer and place a green 100x100 color square on it (for testing)
#2) Select 3D> New Mesh From Layer> Mesh Preset> Sphere

Result:
Photoshop sends me to the 3D view but the sphere is black in both camera views. How do I view the sphere with the green color square on it? I can't properly rotate the object or camera without being able to see what I'm really working on.

Software:
Photoshop CS6 - Version 13.1.1 x64

Thanks a billion in advance!!! There has to be an easy solution but I can't figure it out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Possible solution,

1. Create new transparent layer.
2. Go to 3D > New Mesh from Layer > Mesh Preset > Select Sphere
3. Go from 3D panel to Layers Panel
4. Double click Sphere Material default texture. A new pallet will open.
5. Select a color (green) and fill the entire pallet with that color.
6. Click the X and save when prompted.

You should have a green sphere.

Last edited:

DR01D

green-black-sphere.gif
Thanks IamSam. Unfortunately I get the same result. The small sphere in the properties window turns green but not the sphere in the camera view. Still pure black.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok droid,

Make sure you have the move tool selected. Do the first 2 steps I listed in my previous post. When you have your result, then do a screen capture of your whole Ps interface. Highlight your 3D panel "scene".

Like this.

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 12.15.58 AM.png

Also include a screenshot of your 3D preferences.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you show me the properties while you have "scene" highlighted?

DR01D

BTW here is a donut example. It's 3d, I can rotate it, move the camera, etc. etc. But it's pure black with no detail.

donut.gif

DR01D

One of my friends thought maybe I didn't have a light source. That was a good idea but no luck. Here is the light source with the handle.

lightsource.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sam said:
Can you show me the properties while you have "scene" highlighted?

Like this.
3DScene.jpg

What do you have in your preset for the SCENE properties? If it's not custom or default, this could be causing your issue. If this is not it........I'm stumped!

DR01D

Ive never messed with scene properties before.

I just set it to "Sketch Grass" and it's the first time I've ever seen it different than pure black.

scene-grass.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Droid, I thought we had it! The only time I can get my sphere to turn solid black is when I set the SCENE preset to LINE ILLUSTRATION.

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 10.44.38 PM.png

I've tried everything I can think of to help! I've also noticed that yours is not casting shadows either. I know it's the same with other objects since you posted the doughnut and it was black as well.

Your 3D engine has a glitch. I would try to uninstall and reinstall Ps CS6.

DR01D

Thanks IamSam! I may not know the answer but at least we've got it narrowed down.

Happy New Year!

DR01D

FYI this gives me some reason to suspect that I might have a video card problem. I'm ordering a new one tonight.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I had thought of this, but before I replaced the card I would try the un/re-install of Ps just in case it was in the software. If the problem persisted after the the re-install, then I would have gone after the vid card driver or the card itself. I guess I could have stated that before!

Have you tried to extrude text? Did it have the same effect?
If you can extrude text, it may not be your graphics card at all.