What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Using Cineware to import Maya 3D Model/Animation into After Effects CS6

frussell89

So I called Macon Cinema 4D today and they told me that although the newest After Effects (CS6) does not have the Live Photoshop 3D plugin any longer; the new Cineware plugin in AE CS6 allows you to upload .OBJ (or .FBX) files from Maya using Cinema 4D Lite and importing the files into After Effects CS6 as REAL 3D.... Is this true? And if so, what's the workflow after I already have my .OBJ or .FBX file? Any good tutorials?

Hoogle

Guru
mmm I think you have been misinformed unless I am wrong cineware comes with cc I dont believe it is available for CS6 users.

it is your usual work flow but once you have done your model and animation export it but choose OBJ as file type, but remember if you texture the model in maya then you will need to bake the textures on prior to exporting otherwise you will just get an untextured obj.

frussell89

mmm I think you have been misinformed unless I am wrong cineware comes with cc I dont believe it is available for CS6 users.

it is your usual work flow but once you have done your model and animation export it but choose OBJ as file type, but remember if you texture the model in maya then you will need to bake the textures on prior to exporting otherwise you will just get an untextured obj.

Hi there Hoogle!

You're awesome man.

Yeah I think I just wasn't being accurate. It's CC that I am talking about. Just bought it yesterday. So what you're saying is that once I export my animation/model as an .OBJ file (having baked the textures of course), it should open just fine in After Effects CC? Without me needing to do anything with Cineware or the Cinema 4D plugin in After Effects?

A guy at Maxon told me different. He said that I would need to open up Cinema 4D Lite (which i guess comes with After Effects CC now) and from there I could simply export the .OBJ file into After Effects CC. I assume as .C4D file or something....

Hoogle

Guru
that is right in after effects go to file new > Cinema 4d file then that will open the portal for cineware just open up your OBJ there, of course if you want to 3d model a bit in C4d then feel free but you can use after effects to render it or render in C4D, After effects is quicker but the quality of C4d may or may not be better depending on settings.

Also ifyour splashing out the cash maybe look into video copilots elements 3d, it is a plugin for after effects before cineware that makes easy 3d stuff