What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Understanding the 3D Tool in CS6

Hellsrage

Hello! I'm, making a Rain Meter skin and could use some help with the 3D tool.

I've made an extrusion and altered it to my liking but when I apply a metal texture(I'm using an image not one of the materials) to it and render the texture looses a fair bit of quality. Ironically enough the texture actually looks better before rendering.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem?

Hoogle

Guru
I don't like the 3d features in photoshop so rarely use it but isnt their an option to reduce texture opacity then that will bring it back to the none rendered version. I may be wrong though.

If you are a creative cloud subscriber then I would personally use after effects and the C4D lite package there you can model away in a proper 3d toolset and set up textures properly.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hoogle,
FYI.Watched a thing Adobe did today,,live stream, announcing a whole bunch of changes they are coming with. Three D is one of them. They say the goal is to make it as easy as working with 2D. I'm sure time will tell. I have tried using the 3d module but I fail with it. Either I am too dumb or just lack the patience to work with it.
I don't like the 3d features in photoshop so rarely use it but isnt their an option to reduce texture opacity then that will bring it back to the none rendered version. I may be wrong though.

If you are a creative cloud subscriber then I would personally use after effects and the C4D lite package there you can model away in a proper 3d toolset and set up textures properly.

Hellsrage

I was worried the only solid option would be a real 3D editor. I think for now I'll either skip the 3D or see if I can mesh another layer over the 3D layer. It's too bad the quality gets killed when I render, I feel like that shouldn't happen but I have no clue what causes it, perhaps I'll stumble upon a solution in my future edits.