What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Renders look grainy

crossmr

This is my first foray into using the photoshop CS6 3D tools.

I am doing a lot of composition and in some images I have an item that is being used repeatedly. To make things easier, I have a textured 3D model of that object. If I select a section of the model and hit render, it renders for awhile and I check it out.
The area that's been rendering, even after 5-10 minutes looks very grainy compared to the part that hasn't been rendered.

The idea I'm going for here is that I can spin the object as needed as well as light the object as needed for the particular composition. That part works, but the render itself just looks awful.

crossmr

Take a look at this article:

First thing I notice is that unlike what the article describes I don't have a "quality" section in my 3D workspace. I click scene, I click the little icon above, and I can choose my preset, but they refer to a "quality" area to set final ray trace or something, and that is nowhere to be found.

(The other thing I notice is that I couldn't quote you properly because apparently I don't have enough "points" and had to type this response all over again)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In your 3D prefs, what's your ray tracer High quality threshold setting?

(will look into the quote issue)

crossmr

In your 3D prefs, what's your ray tracer High quality threshold setting?

(will look into the quote issue)

10 and render tile size is small (wasn't sure which way to go with that) It wouldn't let me quote because you posted a link and I'm not allowed to post links.
It didn't tell me that until I submitted the post and it dumped the content when it sent me back to the post screen.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you making changes to the image after a ray trace?

crossmr

Are you making changes to the image after a ray trace?
It's grainy even after it finished. I leave it for say 30 minutes come back and it's done rendering, and I find the shadows to be very grainy and even bright textures to be somewhat grainy (though less)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is your CS6 version 13.0.6 ?

10 is a very high setting, try lowering your render threshold setting to 5. I use 5 and my final outputs are crystal clear and crisp.

Try a small canvas test with the lower setting to see if it makes a difference. In the meantime, I'm still searching for a possible cause and fix.

crossmr

Is your CS6 version 13.0.6 ?

10 is a very high setting, try lowering your render threshold setting to 5. I use 5 and my final outputs are crystal clear and crisp.

Try a small canvas test with the lower setting to see if it makes a difference. In the meantime, I'm still searching for a possible cause and fix.

No .1.2 I had it at 5 before and it looked even worse.

But I'll try it again. on a very small size where it usually turns grainy.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You might try updating Ps, I remember some changes were made to improve 3D in there somewhere.

I will keep looking. Hopefully, another member will chime in with a better answer for you......may take awhile though!

You might consider resetting Photoshops preferences to see if that helps. I have found that a reset cures most of what ails Ps.

crossmr

Thanks. I just know that I tried rendering it in keyshot and it looks fine, but in PS it looks rather bland. I realize keyshot is a dedicated program, but still.