What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 2D to 3D reflective material.. HELP

Rihards

Hello, forum!

I am wondering, is there any way that I can make a reflective material on a 2D sheet, and when applied to 3D model its still reflective?

This is for a videogame model.

Thanks!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi Rihards.
Welcome to our forum. I'm sure you will find it informative.

MrToM

Guru
Is that some kind of joke?
I very much doubt it, more like a misinterpretation of the question.

Lets face it, it's not exactly brimming with information.

To you it probably makes perfect sense and is not a difficult question, but to the rest of us, well, it's not the usual 'I have a problem with Photoshop' type of question.

Fortunately, I have a pretty good idea what you mean, being more from a 3D background than Photoshop but even so, the question is still a little ambiguous......Photoshop is also capable of [limited] 3D too so are you referring to Photoshop 3D or some other application?

As you know, 3D applications are immensely complex on even the most basic of levels so knowing the applications you are using, the platform you are using them on, the general 'end result' with screen shots possibly and the context this all fits into would help narrow down those members that could possibly help.

Speaking only for myself its you Use 3dsmax and VRay on Windows then hey! I'm your man.....OTOH if you use Maya with mentalRay on a Mac then forget it....and that goes for the 3D in Photoshop too.

Furnish us with some relevant info on the project and I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to help you with it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your question, but you did ask for "reflective material" not a technique to simulate reflective material using PS or other software. I'm a very literal guy, and not a week ago I just fielded a question from a guy in the real world) who wanted to know what sort of (real world) material could be used for motion capture dots.

Tom M

Rihards

Well, If only I would be able to post a link in here..

I am using Photoshop CS6 advanced.
The reason for that is cause I dont really need all those fancy tools, its only for ... painting the 3D model. And I am doing that by adding a texture to this model. And what i wanted to do, is paint a particular part of this 3D model to be reflective.

Ill try to post a link somehow.. puu. sh/cha8P/caaa0d7116.jpg - this is the 2D picture that is applied to 3D model.
and this - puu. sh/chacW/102f76f8f1.jpg - is the 3D model.

(remove the space between puu. and sh)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Rihards,
You can post links here after 5 non-spam posts. That happens automatically. I think your up to 3, so post a couple more times and then you can post the links. That will be helpful.
Thanks

I am using Photoshop CS6 advanced.
The reason for that is cause I dont really need all those fancy tools, its only for ... painting the 3D model. And I am doing that by adding a texture to this model. And what i wanted to do, is paint a particular part of this 3D model to be reflective.

Ill try to post a link somehow.. puu. sh/cha8P/caaa0d7116.jpg - this is the 2D picture that is applied to 3D model.
and this - puu. sh/chacW/102f76f8f1.jpg - is the 3D model.

(remove the space between puu. and sh)

MrToM

Guru
You don't need to post a link for images....just insert the image into your post using the 'Insert Image' icon, (3rd from right), in the 'Quick Reply' section of the page.

If you have a direct link to an image you can use it via that icon.

Regards.
MrTom.

Rihards

Here are the screens :
ss (2014-10-19 at 12.51.18).jpg
This is the 2D sheet with the material that is going to be applied to 3D model.

ss (2014-10-19 at 12.50.50).png
This is the 3D model.
ss (2014-10-19 at 12.51.12).jpg
And the same model with the material applied. (Im probably not using the right terms, so sorry.)

And my goal is... to paint individual parts of the 2D sheet shiny/ reflective, so when I apply them to the 3D model, they keep their reflectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:

iDad

Guru
perhaps if you're looking for help a more specific request would get more attention?

edit:
my bad I thought this was first page

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hello, forum!

I am wondering, is there any way that I can make a reflective material on a 2D sheet, and when applied to 3D model its still reflective?

This is for a videogame model.

Thanks!

What 3D application are you using?

The textures look fine. You may need to apply and adjust the material settings like the Reflection Maps. And your lighting will add to the reflective properties.

Rihards

What 3D application are you using?

The textures look fine. You may need to apply and adjust the material settings like the Reflection Maps. And your lighting will add to the reflective properties.

The textures are from the original files of the game. What I want to do is, make a reskin. Color it myself. I want to, for example, color the top green and make it reflective.
And I am using Photoshop CS6 advanced.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Responded to his PM and hppefully helped resolve his ask. but just for reference to anyone else: a specular map needs to be made and applied to the texture's game ready material file.

Simple as beans on toast! :)