What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Chat Bubble Effect?

Viewtiful

Hello all

I have moderate, Photoshop experience. I'd very much like to achieve a 3D chat bubble effect as pictured (1).

Googling around for a "3D box effect", which might help me, I hit a bit of a brick wall. Using the square marquee tool and feathering it got the shape I wanted, but I could not do anything with the "fuzzy feathered" selection. Then after messing around with the rounded rectangle shape and converting it to a selection, it occurred to me I could create a similar box effect (2). I was wondering how best to add the sharp V and maintain the 3D effect seamlessly. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• chat-bubble.jpg
    chat-bubble.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Viewtiful

I think I've achieved it with the help of another article on this site. Finding a V, which matched the shape I was after, I used the type mask tool, to create the lighter top layer, created a darker bottom layer and used the CTRL ALT shift technique. Merged all the V layers and the box and made it seamless. I think it looks okay, but if anyone can has any suggestions on a better method or how to make it look better, that would be much appreciated.
Bubble.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What version of Ps are you using?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These are fairly easy to render in 3D............that is if your version of Ps has 3D.

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 3.11.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 3.28.20 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
OR....

If you want to use more conventional methods then this was done using just simple shapes and additional nodes with the pen tool, layered accordingly...

bubble_A_01.png

...and the layers...

bubble_LP_A_01.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Viewtiful

@IamSam, those boxes are really nice. :) I use CS5 and CS6. I believe it is only the Extended editions which have 3D functionality.
@MrTom, thank you for the response. I'm not confident in creating content with the pen tool, but by toying around with shapes and a little thought, I quite like what I created.

The boxes I've created are a Chat button and Forum button for a website design concept. Thank you again.

Attachments

• Bubbles.png
    Bubbles.png
    566.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: