What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Help with .obj file!

Ariannwyn

Greetings all! Good to meet you :D

I have some experience with Photoshop, but this is my first time playing with the 3D part of Photoshop. I typically use Blender3D for modeling but I am fairly new to that as well.

I am attempting to find a way to convert my 3D model into 2D images for use in a 2D game! I will need different angles of the 3D model with a transparent background.

My problem is that, when I import my 3D model (as an .obj file) it looks funny!

Here is my model normally: https://sketchfab.com/models/48c39b93a15f4123abb90ce3386938c5

Here is what it looks like in Photoshop:
Capture.PNG

Like I said, I am pretty new to this, so I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it! Any help is much appreciated. :)
Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
I don't really know 3D in PS either but I do know that OBJ files can be a right pain!

I exported a 3d model from 3dsMax as an obj, imported it into PS and it was fine.....but I think that was more luck than judgement to be honest.

I've also exported OBJ files for 3rd party UV unwrapping and it wasn't so successful first time which meant I had to work out what the problem may be....hence the suggestions below are based on that scenario and not importing into PS.

There where a couple of things that I had to 'fix' before exporting the obj file:

1. Alignment:
The alignment of the model to the 'world' coordinate system....anything else and the model would not be aligned when imported.

2. Normals:
It wasn't really a problem at the time but some, or all, of the normals could be flipped.
This would result in a model very similar to your example....especially if there is any 'smoothing' (as in smoothing groups) applied.

3. The 'Z' axis:
You can change the orientation of the 'z' axis on export.
Different programs will need a different reference for the 'z' axis......what that will be is pure guesswork until you select the right one.....but at least it can only be one of three so its not too bad.

I'm assuming you created the model in 'Blender' which is not something I've ever used so cannot be any more specific than the above....sorry.

So...check the model alignment to the world axis, check the normals and see if you can change the 'z' axis when exporting to an OBJ file.

Regards.
MrTom.

Ariannwyn

Thanks so much!

I messed around with some of the export settings and that seems to have fixed it. (Not sure why I didn't do that before!) Thanks again for your help!