What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D How to drape a pattern on a 3D object... like this...

amose

Hi guys - I'm wondering how to achieve this 3D effect - basically what I want to do is cleanly wrap or 'drape' a circle patterntexture onto a 3D object, in this case a woman. So far I've tried using displacement maps, materials in the photoshop 3D editor and Illustrator's 3D tool + map art but haven't been
able to get the same result. I'll be needing to repeat this effect weekly so I'm looking for a solution that is not too labour intensive.
Thanks,
A.IMG_4725.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello amose and welcome to PSG.

Our members reside around the world in many time zones, so we ask that you please be patient and someone will be along to help you out soon. Thanks.

MrToM

Guru
Its unclear as to what the source of this 'project' is.....a 2D image or a 3D model.

The methods you have already tried suggest its both....displacement maps would be applied to a 2D image but materials in the 3D 'editor', as you call it, would be applied to a 3D model.

Before going any further it would be good to establish just what it is you are attempting to apply this pattern to.

Unfortunately my suggestion for a 3D model is one you have already dismissed but if its a 2D image then there may be a way....its not a 'quick edit' solution but I doubt you'll find one for what is essentially a rather complex result.

Regards.
MrTom.

amose

Its unclear as to what the source of this 'project' is.....a 2D image or a 3D model.The methods you have already tried suggest its both....displacement maps would be applied to a 2D image but materials in the 3D 'editor', as you call it, would be applied to a 3D model.Before going any further it would be good to establish just what it is you are attempting to apply this pattern to.Unfortunately my suggestion for a 3D model is one you have already dismissed but if its a 2D image then there may be a way....its not a 'quick edit' solution but I doubt you'll find one for what is essentially a rather complex result.Regards.MrTom.

Thank you for the swift reply MrTom... Basically I'm creating a weekly poster/posters for events
and the branding dictates a circular optical art style pattern that I can adapt to different objects
but these can be 2D images. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.. Thanks again. A

MrToM

Guru
Well, if its just overlaying a pattern onto a plain simple 2d image then I would suggest the lesser of these two evils...

1. The Warp tool.
2. The Puppet Warp Tool.

Depending on your PS skills and/or the complexity of the image and of course time, one of these should work.

You'll have to divide the image up into managable / logical chunks and how involved that gets will again depend on the images in question.

Regards.
MrTom.