What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Create angled text in Photoshop Creative Cloud

Creating 3d text in Photoshop Creative Cloud for 3D printing is straight forward, however having text at 45 degree angle on the face is something I can't figure out. Google searched over and over and over, can't find any tutorial to recreate the demo print I have pictured.

Any ideas?

IMG_1143.JPG

MrToM

Guru
...Any ideas?...
In a word....no.

Getting the angle is easy enough but only by using the 'Cross Section' option.....and that doesn't 'cap' the object at the point of intersection.

You could angle the text as a whole and then use 'Cross Section' on the underside of the text to 'slice' the text parallel to the ground plane but that means the edges of the text would not be perpendicular to the ground plane.

Have you actually done this before in PS and just can't remember how or have you never used PS to do this?

To be honest if you haven't done this in PS then I'd suggest using a proper 3D package to create the model and export it in an .obj format which you can import into PS and go from there. There are plenty of free 3D packages out there although not having ever used free software couldn't recommend one over another.

I wouldn't trust PS to do anything 3D related to be honest.....in fact if I'm very honest I wouldn't, and don't, trust PS with anything.....not even a blank document.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you Mr Tom for responding to my post, I printed that text as a demo saved in my printer, so I did not make it in Photoshop and forget how I did it. I have been using Tinkercad for my 3D printer projects and noticed after getting Creative Cloud PS that it was capable of creating STL files, so I rolled up my sleeves and made a Christmas ornament project.
um4d.jpg

I thought it did a good job so I became inspired to do a text project after seeing this example on the web.

Adobe-Inspire-2.jpg

I guess I will look around for a free trail of 3D printing software that can handle my project, thank you for the advice.

MrToM

Guru
...Thank you Mr Tom ...I guess I will look around for a free trail of 3D printing software that can handle my project, thank you for the advice...
No worries.

You'll find that there are many 3D packages out there......'Blender' is quite popular as is 'Daz 3D'. Cinema 4D is also one which keeps popping up but not sure if thats free or not.

3D in PS is a bit of a 'gimmick' to be honest....something Adobe put in there to try and justify the extortionate price they charge for it. Unfortunately, as good as PS is for image editing its not really worth the effort for 3D.

The 'free' 3D software out there is more than capable of doing what you want, and if you keep it as basic as just text then learning it shouldn't be that difficult....and as you only need the model then its even simpler.

I've not done 3D printing so I've no idea about what's involved as far as the files go but all the 3D software will export to a .obj file and PS will import those no problem....famous last words. You should then be able to print directly from within PS without the need for further modification to the model.

Regards.
MrToM.

PS.
I got this far with it but thats all...

3D_angled_text_MT_01.png

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
With Photoshop, use the Deform section in the 3D properties panel and adjust the vertical angle.

Attachments

• Untitled20151228165855.jpg
    Untitled20151228165855.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 16

MrToM

Guru
With Photoshop, use the Deform section in the 3D properties panel and adjust the vertical angle.
Unfortunately that doesn't keep the sides perpendicular to the groundplane as in the OP's example....it creates a 'curved' extrusion around a pivot point.

Extreme example...

3D_angled_text_MT_02.png

Could be used in an emergency though....granted.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
True Tom, however the effect can be negligible depending on the font used, extrusion depth and the angle.
In this case anything less than 15° looks pretty good. Beyond that angle the curve becomes very apparent.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Absolutely......I was just sticking rigidly to the OP's original example but yeah....if thats acceptable to the OP then its about as close as it can get I guess. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

True Tom, however the effect can be negligible depending on the font used, extrusion depth and the angle.
In this case anything less than 15° looks pretty good. Beyond that angle the curve becomes very apparent.

hawkeye, thank you for your help! The "Y" angle was being covered by another tool. I think I can go up to 21 degrees and lower it down into a base to hide the other side.I see so many projects being done in Photoshop like cell phone cases, etc. I wanted to see if there could be a way to do my name plate project, plus the more time I spend in Photoshop I hope to become more comfortable, the creative cloud is a big upgrade from CS4 for me.
:giggle:

text.JPG