What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Space Containerships

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Great work Chris.
The right texture adds the realistic look.
Great work on the reflections too.
My next exercise will be the reflections.

gedstar

Guru
Cool image Chris, between yourself and Eggy we have some really great 3D images going on, fair play to you both for your patients and creativity

Ged

Confestium

I like the concept but I feel for realism, shadowing with the lighting is essential.

Just feel the shadowing is lacking in this piece.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Chris! I've liked watching the evolution of this image.

I also think the lighting is off in comparison to the planet. The top of the containers seem too bright. The planet's terminator line suggests that the Sun would be very low and behind the planet. The tops of the containers would be almost as dark as the right sides of the containers. The spheres lighting is off as well.

@Eggy @gedstar @Confestium @IamSam @Paul

Thank you guys for your interesting comments...always much appreciated.

However, I must add some information here.

All three parts are spaceships and none is a planet. Because of the round shape of two of them, it is somewhat misleading.
The large round ship is positioned a short distance behind the main spacecraft and only slightly higher. Check the bright reflection on the rendered image on top of the page.
The small round ship is positioned a little further away and only slightly lower than the main spaceship. Check the bright reflection on the rendered image on top of the page.

On the screenshot you can see that I have a light source positioned at the top left. Since all spaceships are on the same PS layer, they should have the correct lighting. Thus, the shadow should also be fine.

All 3 spacecrafts itself cast a shadow. but none of them falls one of the other spaceships.

That's a bit confusing, but I hope that my answer gives an insight into the way I work.

Regards Chris

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-17 um 11.17.20.png

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
chrisdesign

Chris, I think I understand what Sam means.
Actually the light source should be lower than the horizon, about on the rim of the planet since its a sunrise or sunset and the sun isn't visible yet/anymore.
In that case, low light (lower then horizon) and higher object (higher then horizon), the top surface could not be lit.
But none of the objects stands in the path of an other one in order to cast a shadow.

Still a great piece Chris.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-17 um 11.17.20  light.jpg