What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Concept Fighter Plane

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That is really great Chris!

Crisp and neat and 'steampunkish...
Keep on working, I want to see the endresult!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
A great looking concept creation in line with your love of steampunk, chris.

But I can't help imagine of how it's corkscrew design will affect it's flight...... :cheesygrin:.

But do carry on with it.. I'd love to see the finished art with all it's textures....

A great looking concept creation in line with your love of steampunk, chris.

But I can't help imagine of how it's corkscrew design will affect it's flight...... :cheesygrin:.

But do carry on with it.. I'd love to see the finished art with all it's textures....

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it...and I expected a comment on the design, hahah . I just thought it looks cool like this.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Finally I made it, and the result looks good.

Here are the two final composites.

View attachment 61477

View attachment 61478

Kudos on the details and finish on it. :clap:.... EXQUISITE...

Are those rivets in the texture or modeled in? I like the groves in the corkscrew and hull as it camouflages the corkscrew design. Looks more like a layered wood finish.... come to think of it, there's a type of wood that looks like that but I can't remember what it's called.

Definitely a Steampunk Age Airship.....

Well done.

Kudos on the details and finish on it. :clap:.... EXQUISITE...

Are those rivets in the texture or modeled in? I like the groves in the corkscrew and hull as it camouflages the corkscrew design. Looks more like a layered wood finish.... come to think of it, there's a type of wood that looks like that but I can't remember what it's called.

Definitely a Steampunk Age Airship.....

Well done.

Thanks for your comment dv8_fx. Always much appreciated.

I used the texture from http://www.textures.com.
It was very tricky to position the texture in the right place and in the correct size on the wings.

MetalBeams0047_M.jpg

gedstar

Guru
Hey Chris

That is just amazing from the original concept to the finished image it's just stunning :yourock: have to commend you on what you have achieved :clap:

Regards

Ged

Thank you very much Ged for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
It took many hours to complete this job, and 2 nights in between for rendering each image.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
That's a very good idea...why don't you do it?

It's because I don't need the new options and capabilities in whatever work I do right now. And neither do I have the time to sit down on it to learn and experiment on the new features. If I were heavily into creating art like you and other guys here, most probably I would.

Whats more, my printers and even other design shops I do work for did not upgrade to CC as CS6 has everything they need.

But being in a PS forum, it's a handicap for me. I recently upgraded to CS6 from CS4 just to catch up with the technology. We have licensed adobe distributors here who are allowed to continue marketing their stocks of earlier versions (boxed).

But I will have to upgrade again in the near future so I can catch up with technology but most importantly in order to maintain my edge and capability to help out users of the current version.

Paul

Former Member
AWESOME Chris really nice design and execution as always.

Tom Mann

Guru
...But I can't help imagine of how it's corkscrew design will affect it's flight...... :cheesygrin:. ...
It's a great tour-de-force of artistry, technique and imagination, Chris! Nice work!

Personally, what I really had fun with was considering the possibility of some crazy, closely- related alternatives to yours that might solve the aerodynamic problem Vee mentioned. For example, if the spiral grooves were in one direction in front of the wings, and in the other direction in back of the wings and you rotated both sections together, then the fuselage would become like one stage of a bizarrely designed "external" turbine instead of the usual internal, shrouded turbine design:

Gas_Turbine_Blade-02_698px_wide.jpg

In addition, maybe the vorticity imparted to the flow by the forward spinning section would be (at least in one's Steampunk inspired imagination) cancelled by the rear section which has the opposite "handedness". In addition, all this rotating mass would have a huge angular momentum and maybe stabilize the craft the same way angular momentum stabilizes a spinning bullet or an American football, LOL.

The passengers would sit in a non-rotating cabin inside the spinning skin of the craft. Of course ;-), a couple of large windows would be provided for the passengers, dressed in their finest clothes, to look through the semi-transparent "external" turbine blades, sort of the same way the passengers in Jules Verne's Nautilus looked out through the portholes, LOL.

Nautilus.jpg

I must say, it certainly takes a lot less work to dream about other designs rather than actually having to do any work myself. :rofl: Great fun!

All the best,

Tom M

PS - And, since we are in the Steampunk age, we are able to completely ignore the weight and all the other problems of my design. :redface: