What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Split Glass experiment

Argos

Guru
The glass is ten times better then the rest of pictures, the wine i liked more too, but something on the floor is not right for me. Maybe is just i wake up from the nap.

I'm not all that good in explaining something in english.
I rather show you how I would like the bottom part of this image. I hope you don't mind. I've done it very roughly.

Again, your creation is great 3D stuff, but PS 3D has its limits.

split glass 005chrisdesign.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
chrisdesign

Thanks for the observations Chris.
I'm well aware PS 3D has its limitations as a common 3D program.
The result after rendering is sometimes not exactly what we expected.
In this case I first choose for a glass texture and did a quick local render on a small piece.
The result was not good or not what I expected.
So I choose for a white texture set in 9% opacity.
After rendering the result was

Untitled-1.jpg

You see there are parts who are transparent.
I placed a 50% grey layer under this layer.
For the bottom part I picked a layer with the color of the underground.
As you can see along this thread I changed the concept several times.
I actually missed the white reflection typical for glass so I had to change that.
Manually I changed the color of the wine and the bottom of the glass.
Then I duplicated the main layer and applied a multiply blend mode. That was looking good for the top part.
But I did not liked the bottom part.
I like your version of the bottom part better. I assume you did desaturate it a bit?

Well, I have still a lot to learn about PS 3D but I know for sure that in a complex design like mine, there's still need for 'normal' manipulations in PS to make it accepteble.
Tomorrow is another day and I'll start with a clear head.

Now I'm going to install myself on my couch with a LEFFE 33ml in reach and look at moving pics on my TV.

peta62

Guru
Eggy - I was thinking about it while driving home from the office ( around 100 km mainly highway so I always get the most ideas there ). I do not know anything about rendering, so I may be totally way off, but would it be possible to test the result in the first stages on lower resolution ? It would not be perfect, but it should take fraction of those 11 hours and give you some basic info. Am I missing something ?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
peta62

I never tried but it is possible.
But if you want to see how a part is going to look its always better to select a small part of it and render. You can stop the rendering by pressing esc.
I did all that but this way you never get the big picture...

peta62

Guru
Looking on chrisdesign's picture with excellent bottom part, I cannot help myself to ask : Is there any reason for red in the legs ? Yes, looks very good, but where does it come from ?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Looking on chrisdesign's picture with excellent bottom part, I cannot help myself to ask : Is there any reason for red in the legs ? Yes, looks very good, but where does it come from ?

From the piece of background where the glass is standing on?

peta62

Guru
peta62

I never tried but it is possible.
But if you want to see how a part is going to look its always better to select a small part of it and render. You can stop the rendering by pressing esc.
I did all that but this way you never get the big picture...

I see, maybe the combination of full resolution & escape with low resolution could give you some information in shorter time. I understand you cannot test just a piece, since it is 3D, but could you ( for example for a texture ) test just a stripe ( probably horisontal in this case ) ?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yeah,

But as they say in French 'un oeuf est un oeuf' (enough is enough)

peta62

Guru
Eggy - that is funny with the French, when you see it written, you sometimes have a chance to understand it, but when they say it, it is a totally different animal :shocked:

peta62

Guru
Eggy - I like it, but I think chrisdesign's legs in #23 are somehow clearer, better showing glass. I know it is very easy so see and write, it is something else to do it.