What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Split Glass experiment

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I tried something more challenging but it did not turn up the way I had in mind.
I'll work on this later.
The rendering took me 11+ hours.
:eek:

split glass 002.png

This is what the program 'fabricated' for me.

peta62

Guru
But it was definitely worth those 11 hours. It looks great and it also let me think, I was confused in the beginning, since my browser showed only upper part, I got it after seeing the leg(s).

If I can be a little picky, I find a bit strange that two legs ( near and left ) change color close to background change, I would expect the left change to be higher and why the surface ellipse breaks on the top and does not on the bottom. I am not saying it is wrong, I may miss something.

But overall impression is definitely beautiful.

Argos

Guru
I dont know anything on 3D, so only can say thats look's good, maybe if you turn the glasses to the right, looks better ,less confusing, and the wine gain strength,

pd: is a person on the base of the glass?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
peta62

Thanks for the comment.
Well, once you set the objects and background and push 'render' you lose control over what PS is doing with your picture.
I did some test renders by selecting small parts but it's only after 11+ hours that you can see the full picture.
One thing is certain, I made the 'wine' too clear and too transparent. It should have been 'bordeau' like and less reflections in it.
That's trial and fail.
I will adjust that, some day.
I sleep well but even I can't sleep 11+ hours...:confused: while rendering.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Argos

Thanks for the comment.
I had to make choices about the position of the the objects in the composite.
The wine strength is just as I explained to peta62 a question of color darkness and transparacy settings.
I will, one day, adjust that.

Oh, that's not a person in the foot of the glass, its pure coincidence.
But yes, it looks like a guy with a big microphone on a stick.
:)

peta62

Guru
Oh, that's not a person in the foot of the glass, its pure coincidence.
But yes, it looks like a guy with a big microphone on a stick.
:)

And the "windows" are windows or ceiling lights ?

Edit : Sorry, stupid question, it is not a photograph, it is Photoshop created, so it is reflection by 3D engine, correct ?

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
And the "windows" are windows or ceiling lights ?
Edit : Sorry, stupid question, it is not a photograph, it is Photoshop created, so it is reflection by 3D engine, correct ?

That is correct, it's a combination of the used IBL and the refraction of the glass created by PS.

It is beautifully done Eggy. Wonderful work with awesome reflections.
I would do the adjustments, like desaturating the wine to a burgundy red in the rendered image.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
chrisdesign

Thanks for the comments and advice Chris.
Yes the wine is a bummer. I could change the values and rerender but I can't miss my PC for another 11+ hours.
I think I'm going to do what you suggested, changing the color in de rendered version.

I'll post an update.

peta62

Guru
Eggy - I am in transition period from one laptop to another, so I happen to have two computers right now. In case I have sufficient hardware and you would like ( plus deliver instructions how to do it in Photoshop CC 2015 ) I could try to do it for you during the weekend.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
peta62

I thank you for the proposition but I did manually corrected the 'wine' part except the transparacy. I'll do that an evening + night I can miss my PC.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
And here's an updated version.
Just like I said to peta62 the excess of transparancy is giving an excess of reflections right around the 'wine' part. I'll correct that later. (re-render)
The color looks a lot better and natural (in my eyes)

split glass 003.png

peta62

Guru
The wine looks much better, it is a huge improvement in my opinion. I just think the bottom looks a bit strange to me now, maybe a bit darker too or less saturation ?

Edit : the wine was interesting before, now I strongly believe the wine is really there.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The wine looks much better, it is a huge improvement in my opinion. I just think the bottom looks a bit strange to me now, maybe a bit darker too or less saturation ?
Edit : the wine was interesting before, now I strongly believe the wine is really there.

Thank you!
But you're right, the reflections in the foot of the wineglass are looking a bit too orange.
But that is PS who generated those reflections with the provided color of the background.
Maybe I can change this manually too.
I'll give it a try.

peta62

Guru
Eggy - I fully understand it is a bit blind work, where you see the result after at least 11 hours ( reminds me on old analog film cameras ;-) ), so any change is a bit risky, plus it may be only my impression, I think it could look better with different base than red, considering the wine is red.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
peta62

I can't change the red background without rendering again.
I'll do that anyway so I'll try another color for the background.

In the mean time here's another update

split glass 004.jpg

peta62

Guru
Eggy - nice work, I think it is again much more realistic. You know, seeing something like this makes me want to try it too, but we all have limited time for our consumption and I would have to take it from some other activity, which is hardly possible, so I will rather watch your nice results. Thank you for that.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
peta62

For the record, no common 3D program will ever be truly realistic.
I use PS 3D because it's there and I like making those things but it is an additional tool in PS.

I like this forum and not only for the feed back helping me to improve my work.
I'm doing PS two years now. I agree, I'm retired and have way more time then those who work to pay my pension. :giggle:

Will I ever master PS? Not in a long shot. But in my pursue to I'm having fun.

But you should have a go at it.

peta62

Guru
Eggy - I really enjoyed to read your post, thank you. Apart of long list of my hobbies ( topped by my horse ), I have to learn Catia a little better now to be able to communicate with architect in house design. Another issue for me is I came to Photoshop to improve my photos not to be an artist, I am and always was totally useless in painting or drawing, with a pencil and paper I am not able to draw an animal so that people would recognise whether it should have been dog or a cow. Really, no kidding. But you are right, sometimes in the future, in the new house, maybe after I retire ( not that far future ;-) ), I can start PS 3D. I remember how I loved 3D in AutoCAD.
Best regards,
Peter
P.S. I think apart of job it, is not important to master anything, important is to learn it so good to be able to use it as needed.