What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Mars Shuttle

Maintenance duty in deep space.

Mars shuttle: Photoshop 3D
Astronauts: One 3D Object from PixelSuid, rotated into three different positions.
Background: Internet

These little helpers from PixelSquid make this composite much more realistic.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Mars Shuttle 1700.jpg

Argos

Guru
maybe i'm wrong, but adding the shadow to the ship create a sensation that the black hole is a fake one. The ship i like :thumbsup:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really like the ship, but it's not jelling well with it's background. Unfortunately, the 3D objects look pasted on or like it was photographed on a table with a space themed tablecloth. Hard to explain.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Very nice work on the ship Chris!
But there's a problem combining 'shiny' plastic or metallic like 3D objects with a 'normal' background.
That's a problem I have too and I work on it by working on the image after rendering.
In this case the lightsource seems (to me) to come from the upper left corner and almost frontal to the ship.
I did a quick job on your image and I hope you don't mind. Just to point out the problem. I think the image should be darker and the shadows should be more pronounced to blend in better with the background.
I also tend to blur the 3D object by 1 px to remove the hard edges.

test.jpg

But that's the way I see it.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Same thoughts here, chris... the shadows - it's like taking a toy plane and holding it under a light source over a table top.

I think a slight 360° soft lighting on it would be better in order to cast just the right intensity of shadows on the ship. The galaxy behind it serves as a second light source. Thus reflection hilights on the ship bottom or areas facing it.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Way better Chris!

But still there's a contradiction between two lightsources.

test.jpg

The astronauts are lit according a light coming from the green arrow side.
The spacecraft is lit by light coming from the direction of the red arrow. (see shadows cast by ridges)

And I would go a bit further and dodge and burn the spacecraft.

I've experimented a lot with 3D lately and the program gives shadows in a way they could not exist.
So before rendering I disable the 'shadows' and add them manually after rendering.

An example of wrong rendered shadows by PS 3D:

3D Critter War.jpg

The rendered shadow of the ladybug is off.
With the ants from PixelSquid I added my own shadows after rendering.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Eggy.

I'm sure we both experienced the same problems since we started with 3D, and strange behaviour like wrong shadows is just one of many.

In my composite I had to choose a light before rendering. I'm never going back and do a 2nd rendering.
The next compromise was with the astronauts with the light from the left.
The 3rd problem is to find a suitable lighted background.

Simply speaking we have an unsolvable lighting situation.
Even professionals working with better programs and with a lot more experience seem to have the same problems. I checked a lot of very good 3D jobs.

But it is still great fun working with 3D images.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks Eggy.

Simply speaking we have an unsolvable lighting situation.
Even professionals working with better programs and with a lot more experience seem to have the same problems. I checked a lot of very good 3D jobs.

It's usually unpredictable at times even if it looks good on screen in it's native format. Light rigging has always been a problem even with 3d modellers unless they use more advanced software like 3DMax or Lightwave or they use available light presets- free or purchased - or create their own preset lighting. The defaults are simply not enough.

There's a rule of thumb they say in 3d modelling to see how a model will hold up with it's lighting..... Do not render with the background image intended for it .... for a day scene, render with a white background... in the dark, render with a black background.

And view the complete image on your monitor in a darkened room.....

Eggy

Retired Moderator
chrisdesign
Yes indeed Chris, PS 3d acts funny sometimes. It remains a usefull asset and I hope it will improve along the way.
But I still love it and by 'trial and fail' I will try to improve the work.
That is why I didn't post any 3d work no more. I'm busy to find out what to do or not to do by experimenting with small projects.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
dv8_fx
When I compose a 3d object I do choose a suitable background because I need it to set the light.
I do not use the background nor shadows during the rendering.
After the rendering I go back to 'essentials' and make the rendered layer active.
Then I select the rendered object and press ctrl+thumbnail to select only the object and press ctrl+j to place it on a normal layer.
I deselect the 3d layer.
Now I can start working on the 'fixed' 3d object and the background in PS.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@dv8_fx
When I compose a 3d object I do choose a suitable background because I need it to set the light.
After the rendering I go back to 'essentials' and make the rendered layer active.
Then I select the rendered object and press ctrl+thumbnail to select only the object and press ctrl+j to place it on a normal layer.
I deselect the 3d layer.

I wish I can join you guys in experimenting in PS3d but I'm still on antiquated CS6... lol.

What I said earlier is based on my 3d apps experience. I surmise it would also apply in PS as well..

Keep it up guys... this is interesting....

@dv8_fx
I deselect the 3d layer.

This is a clever way to work Eggy. :thumbsup:(Sorry, I only saw this post just now).