What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Texture Exercise

MrToM

Guru
Fun...isn't it?
(Rather than a laborious chore)

Even though there is a bit of a UV issue this still looks 100 times better than you could ever get out of PS.

Bump maps are great aren't they? They really add that 3rd dimension to a material.
Shadows look good, lighting is good too, (although adding an environment would change this and not always for the better neither...buts that's half the fun), and generally just way better than anything you did in PS.

I'm not familiar with how Blender deals with UV's but once you get those nailed the floodgates will open for you....you'll be using PS more than ever to produce your material maps....using your UV template.

Just think.....when you need that extra bit of 'pipework' for your steampunk images but Google comes up bare....you can just render yourself whatever part you need! (And at the right orientation too!)

Virtual fabrication....:thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

revnart

Power User
Nice render ;-) much better than in PS.
Does you have in plans using ambient occlusion? You can use it not only for shadows but also for applying textures in "hard to reach" places of a model :)

Last edited:
revnart
ambient occlusion seems to be the thing to try out. I've googled some before and after pics just now.
Thanks for this tip.

Fun...isn't it?
(Rather than a laborious chore)

Even though there is a bit of a UV issue this still looks 100 times better than you could ever get out of PS.

Bump maps are great aren't they? They really add that 3rd dimension to a material.
Shadows look good, lighting is good too, (although adding an environment would change this and not always for the better neither...buts that's half the fun), and generally just way better than anything you did in PS.

I'm not familiar with how Blender deals with UV's but once you get those nailed the floodgates will open for you....you'll be using PS more than ever to produce your material maps....using your UV template.

Just think.....when you need that extra bit of 'pipework' for your steampunk images but Google comes up bare....you can just render yourself whatever part you need! (And at the right orientation too!)

Virtual fabrication....:thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Everything you say is exactly right. MrTom.
Only it's a damn long and hard way to this goal. (Blender is only in english). Very hard to find good german tutorials.
My old head is smoking and I'm dizzy. Or is that just steam?

MrToM

Guru
...'s a damn long and hard way to this goal. (Blender is only in english). Very hard to find good german tutorials...
Good point, which means you've done even better than it looks on the surface.

I promise you it WILL get easier, but its far better to spend your time learning Blender than wasting it struggling with PS.

Just a small note on 'ambient occlusion'....don't run before you can walk, take the natural progression.

You need to sort out those UV's first! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...just found this...any use?

Last edited: