What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for web design fundamentals (professional)

malyo

Hello

I've been through hundreds of pages, tutorials about web design.

One of them is the step by step tutorial, building the website from 0 (well just template but doesn't really matter). The problem i meet with these kind of tutorials, is that they are not really explanatory, about site structure, about color choice (especialy this one), about technique choice. So i don't find them developing myself, rather just having a technique that i can copy.

The other one's are the articles about common principles, but they are way too comon, and most of them are just super obvious, like: Design has to be legible, simple, encouraging etc. They usually refer to one or 2 good websites, but that's all. I don't find it instructional enough, since i can just browse around let's say most awarded websites from this year, and it will be the same.

So what i'm trying to ask for, is that i'm looking for any proper web design reference. I realise that designing website from 0 is very subjective, and they are many factors that determine the structure and elements look. But i can't belive there's no good reference that's containing some principles about picking proper element's structure, size, some common color guidelines, and most important some flexible rule/techinque set that i can apply to make my DIV looks professional (what i mean is the small things that make it happen, like light/shadow/gradient play).

Sorry for such a long post, but if you happen to know a good resource (book, video course, anything) that could meet my expectations, i'd be very thankful for that.

Hoogle

Guru
and yet you seem to be missing what you will be using to design the website ie dreamweaver wordpress coffee cup etc.
If it is dreamweaver then any form of lynda.com membership they cover all aspects of web design.
if you want to design the website in photoshop and then import it into dreamweaver then Kelby training have a course for doing just that.
If you want to design a website in photoshop and have it easily converted into a website pretty much automatically use sitegrinder a plugin for photoshop they also have free training on how to use it.
for any other platform I am not sure where is best to learn from.

malyo

Hello mate well i think you missunderstood my concept a bit, anyways i have actualy found one good source which is book called The Principles of Beautiful Web Design, 2nd Edition, w8ing for release in my native language next month tho, it's a good start. Thanks for trying tho.

RdG

I suggest you read : Designing With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman, Ethan Marcotte.