What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving For The Web

naleidme11

I attached a jpg of my basic home page for my portfolio. I've worked with slicing in school, but is that the only way to bring it into Dreamweaver? I may be wrong, but I couldn't use any layers in Dreamweaver. What I want to do is convert the buttons to rollovers, but I can't simply throw the buttons over a background image with the headers and footers. I also wanted to add text in Dreamweaver, but again, layering issues. Eventually, the header, footer, and buttons will stay in the same place; the content and pictures will change. It may be more of a Dreamweaver question, but any advice can help. Thanks.

Attachments

• site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 0

Hoogle

Guru
sitegrinder is a plugin for photoshop a pretty good alternative to slicing and importing into dreamweaver

Reymus

Do you know your way around HTML and CSS very well? As that really is the best option to properly set up your page.

You can get a smooth roll-over effect (Where is doesn't need to pre-load the other image) using HTML and CSS. This is one way of doing it http://www.webvamp.co.uk/blog/coding/css-image-rollovers/

As for slicing, you should really only need 3 slices. One for the background image (You and that gradient/low opacity text area), one for the logo and one for your left column buttons (You would only need to slice one of them, not them all). The rest of it can be done using HTML and CSS.

naleidme11

Sam, thank you. Reymus, I recently rediscovered the use of div boxes for my buttons. Is this a method that would work, or would loading times be slow? When I preview, the buttons work, but in the past, I've had sites that work great, but others find out that loading times are slow. Am I headed in the right direction? Not quite sure on how to set up the particular css code in the link.

Reymus

Divs are the right way to go. Almost every site out there uses divs (Including this one). The best way to use the CSS code in the link would be to create an external style sheet (If you don't already have one, as Dream weaver can create one when you create a new document) and use this to link to it:

<link href="yourstylesheet.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen"/>

This would go in between the <head> </head> tags.
The link above assumes that you would have your style sheet and page within the same folder. If you wanted to keeps things a bit more tidy, you could create a folder called css for all of your styles. Then all you would have to do is change "yourstylesheet.css" to "css/yourstylesheet.css".

I hope this has made sense, if not just ask away.

naleidme11

Are you familiar with photo slideshows? I am trying to add slideshows to each page (except the home page), but I am getting so many different results in my research. Most of the tutorials I find are strictly coding that I don't understand. Is there a way I can just put pictures in my div and create a slideshow?

Reymus

Are you familiar with photo slideshows? I am trying to add slideshows to each page (except the home page), but I am getting so many different results in my research. Most of the tutorials I find are strictly coding that I don't understand. Is there a way I can just put pictures in my div and create a slideshow?

Take a look at some of these, some very nice effects:
http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2012/02/jquery-image-slider-plugins.html

Are any of these what you are looking for?

Last edited: