What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little logo help please

I hope someone can help me out with this. I am wanting to create what would look like an object punching through my background image in my logo. I found a few tuts on line, but not exactly what I was looking for. I guess maybe a tearing effect and the background image opening up with the object partially showing through.
Thanks for any help
KC

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Gave this tutorial a run and applied it to me. Well, Corey is much better at this than I am, but still had fun and learned something.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 60
I think you would have done better if you had mad more lines with the selection in the first step!

ChrisHPZ

Power User
LOL, I was just funnin around. And yes agreed I could have done better had I put a little more effort into it.

Well here is my attempt at this. I am not completely satisfied with the way the torn paper looks. I will keep playing with this and see if I can get it better.
redheadlogo.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi OD Man,

I quickly threw this image together hoping it might be more in line with what your looking for.

PunchThruHole_01.jpg

I basically followed Corey's tutorial with a few minor changes. I used a brown paper bag as the background and duplicated it twice. I then used levels to lighten one of them slightly to create contrast between the background paper and the tears.

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 8.03.51 PM.png

In order to get the texture on the tears, I first highlighted the lightened layer (Layer 1 in photo) and used the lasso tool to draw a selection, I then used command + I to make a copy of that tear which I moved to the top of the layer stack. I did this with all the tears.

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 8.04.31 PM.png

When I was done I highlighted all of the tears and duplicated them. I then grouped the originals and merged the copies. I did use Bevel and Emboss layer style on the tears including a drop shadow. The rest was pretty much Like Corey's tutorial. Hope this might have helped.

Last edited: