What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collapse a text box to its content?

Hey all! Would like to know if there is a way to collapse a text box to its content. This is referring to the paragraph text type of course. This is for the purpose of making a 'padding' of equal lengths around the text object. Resizing it manually doesn't feel like it is precise, and is time consuming (boring :-D).

Thanks in advance!

MrToM

Guru
If I'm understanding the question right you could try this:

Select > Copy and then Paste the text into an editor such as notepad......just as a temporary measure to save your text for later.

[With Snaps ON and set to ALL]
Use 'Guides' to mark out the area you want your text to occupy, creating a 'gutter' or 'padding' as you put it.

With the 'Text' Tool selected drag out an area from top left intersection of the guides, to the bottom right, using 'guides' means the selection will snap to the guides making it more precise.

Copy your saved text from your editor and paste it into the selected area.
The text should now 'conform' to the extents of the selected area, or in other words, between the guides.

You can still format the text as you wish, justify, size, colour, font etc.
If the font size is too big to fit the text into this area the text will not be displayed so its a sure fire way to get the largest text possible in the available defined space.

If that wasn't the question then maybe its of use anyway.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hey all! Would like to know if there is a way to collapse a text box to its content. This is referring to the paragraph text type of course. This is for the purpose of making a 'padding' of equal lengths around the text object. Resizing it manually doesn't feel like it is precise, and is time consuming (boring :-D).

Thanks in advance!

Right click on the Text layer > Convert to Point Text.

Make sure to stretch out the text box to show its entire content before doing this as hidden contents will be deleted.

I hope this is what you meant......

Hey Tom thanks again! Sorry my replies are so late, I've been in and out of the hospital a lot these last two months. It's so nice to get back on the computer and see that you answered my question. I really enjoy using photoshop for web design when it takes half the amount of time to do it! Learning all the keyboard shortcuts, and 'function' shortcuts really is great! BTW is England really as beautiful as it is on TV?

Thanks freind.