What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JPG to HTML works only on my computer

Milda Janu

Hello,

I'm kinda new in web designing, and I have a question.

When I have a .jpg file and I convert it to .html (selecting images using slice tool, all that jazz), than I press Save for web, choose Html and images, and afterwards, when I open that .html file, it only shows on my browser, but when I send it to someone, they only see a broken page with no images... What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for help!

MrToM

Guru
Are you sending the folder full of images too?

The path to the images in the web page will relate to the images in the folder.....no folder, no images.
The paths are also most likely relative, so the folder will have reside in the same place relative to the html file....for anyone you send it to.

Regards.
MrTom.

Milda Janu

Then next question, so how do I make my .jpg (converted to html) image appear in other people browsers, if they don't have all that set of photos from my file? Or photoshop does not do such things and it's only done by programming? :D

MrToM

Guru
Well lets start with the basics.

You don't convert 'images' to html.
The html page you have generated contains 'links' to the images.
Each 'image' link has a source property (src) which is the path to the respective image.

In other words, when the html page is opened in a browser the 'page' looks for the images denoted by the path in the 'src' property.

You need to have both the html page AND the images for it to display as intended.

If you have used PS to generate this 'html' file it will also have generated a folder with the images in it.
Its not usual to send 'html' pages to individuals as they are meant for uploading to a web host where they are then accessed by entering the URL into a browser...by anybody.

This is not to say that you cannot send individuals the html page, but if you do you also need to send all the relevant folders and any other files generated with it.

The 'structure' of these files and folders needs to stay intact....that is to say where each one is for you also needs to be true for any one else.....the links in the html page will 'break' if they are not structured the same.....eg, no images.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hoogle

Guru
To be honest I would actually learn the basics of HTML as Photoshop does a poor job at optimising websites via slicing, there are plugins such as sitegrinder that do a better job, but often the sites are still low quality, it is only designed to be for the most basic usage or knowledge.

If you are interested in making no coding websites then I would suggest Adobe Muse as your platform with some tweaking you can get some quick and easy sites in a matter of miniutes. I often use it for people that have a low budget and just want a basic site.

here is some example sites using adobe muse
http://muse.adobe.com/site-of-the-day

it is easy to pick up and use

But like always I would heavily suggest learn how to use the software and then learn to optimise the code because it can get a bit messy with complicated sites.

sstjohn

I do a lot of mock ups for clients based on a working (yet local) site (not uploaded to a domain to be viewed via the internet). Simple trick...when you export your HTML and all of the necessary files (as explained by earlier posts), take the entire folder with all of the assets and zip it up using jZip (free), Winzip, WinRAR, or any other zip file utility. You can send it in one easy access file that can be viewed in its entirety with a simple click and "unzip" :)