What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

compress png

Jamos316

I have created a logo for use on my website. when i go to 'save for the web' it tells me that the file is too large & will slow down load time.
im sure it is to do with the resolution of the image file which is 8482 X 4926 pixels.
how can i compress it?

Tom Mann

Guru
One needs a bit of perspective here: Even a fairly large monitor will only be something like 2000 pixels across. A logo for a web page (ie, not a masthead or other image) might occupy, at most, only a fraction of that. Even if it occupies half of the page on a large monitor, the logo will only be 1000 pixels across, and most likely will be much smaller than that. The version of the logo you currently have is over 8000 px wide, ie, 8x larger (in linear dimensions) than needed and around 8x8 = 64 times larger than needed in terms of number of pixels.

You asked about compressing the one you have. That's not a good idea because it would still expand to be wildly too large when it gets uncompressed on the other end. Instead, you want to, as Hawkeye suggested, change the actual size of the image in terms of numbers of pixels it contains. Find out the size (in pixels) of the space it's going into from the designer of the web page, and then you can use any of several methods (Photoshop or other image editing programs) to resize it, not compress it.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - By any chance, did you use a vector based program such as Adobe Illustrator to create the logo?

Mike321

It so simple to compress the image in photo shop simply on the upper option of Photoshop there is option of Image size so click it and simply compress the width and height of the image.No issue in it.