What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vector mask layer(please see image in post)

sstjohn

vectorLayer.png

How do I achieve a layer like the one shown (vector mask)? I have been using PS for years and I am having a real brain fart here! Please help!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Go to LAYER > VECTOR MASK

or

Or hold Cmd/Cntrl and click the layer/Vector mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

sstjohn

I can get the mask ok, it is just that I essentially want to achieve the white square instead of the grid layer (transparency) icon for the layer. I am wanting to produce a scaleable image for responsive CSS for Web design. It's kind of a cheat for making a raster image into vector, but completely Web based. vectorLayer1.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where are you getting this from?

What version of PS are you using?

sstjohn

Like I said...it's a hack, cheat..whatever you want to call it. You set the image mode to CMYK (fooling PS into print mode), then you create a vector path from essentially nothing more than a path and create a new layer. The image doesn't really exist, only the vector mask, allowing for scaling to be seamless. Just thought I'd ask...been a while, but it works if I could just figure out the procedure. Responsive sites love it! Essentially, I can't stand Illustrator and avoid it like the plague. If I can find a work around with PS, I'm all for it!

Tom Mann

Guru
sstjohn -

What exactly did you mean by your statement: "...You set the image mode to CMYK (fooling PS into print mode),..."?

What does this statement have to do with your original question?

Working with PS since the 1990's, as far as I can recall, the only place in PS where I have ever seen the term "Print Mode" used is in the "printer settings" dialog box that comes up when you are using certain printers (see Epson printer driver screenshot attached below). Even in LR, the term that is used is "Print Module", not "Print Mode".

If, by your statement, you are trying to say that using a CMYK working color space is effectively a print mode, not only is that highly unusual terminology, but it ignores other uses of cmyk such as adjusting skin tones "by the numbers".

Tom M

printer-settings.jpg

MrToM

Guru
The layer you refer to is a Color Fill layer.

You can create one by either using:
Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color

OR

Use the Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer icon at the bottom of the layer panel.

If the layer thumbnail doesn't look like your posted image then right click the layer thumbnail and choose 'Small Thumbnails' from the options.

This doesn't change anything in the layer its just a display preference.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I created a white BG, added a short unclosed path with the Pen tool, added a vector mask.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 7.41.24 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
I created a New Fill Layer, solid, white.
Filled the mask with 50% grey.
Scribbled on the mask a bit with a black paint brush.
Set the layer thumbnail to 'Small'.

vector_mask_A_02.png

I think the only difference is that the layer shown in the OP's image is in a folder.

Regards.
MrTom.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi sstjohn

Are you talking about a clipping path. This allows you to save in JPEG with an embedded clipping path where a solid block of color would look like just the vector shape with filled in color on a web site. To do this look at the section in the following link name: "Creating a Clipping Mask":
http://www.graphics.com/article/exploring-paths-photoshop-cc

The key is to have a separate path in the paths panel that represents the shape you want and then use the drop down menu to turn it into a "Clipping Path". This single "clipping path" will be saved with most of the file types and interpreted by the browser as a mask.

Not sure this is what you want yet hope this helps.