What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Images posted on web (Laptop v phone viewing)

scottyccfc

Hi all

Just a quick one. Whenever Im creating dark designs and upload them on social media I get different shadings when viewd on Laptop/Desktop and phone.

When I upload a design on Twitter for example there is no issue viewing on Laptop or Desktop. As soon as I check it on a phone the image is darker and alot of the art work is not visible. Is there anything IM missing here? Has it anything to do with Im creating the design in ProPhoto and converting it to RGB after?

Lets face it most people are viewing social media on their mobile phone so its a big issue for me.

Thanks in advance

Tom Mann

Guru
Since you didn't post one of the problematic images or give other details like what browser you are using, what phone you are using, etc., I can't say for sure what's going on, but my very strong suspicion is that you are inadvertently posting JPGs tagged as ProFoto. The browser in your laptop or desktop knows how to handle ProFoto images (aka, is color managed) and presents them to you the same way they looked to you in PS, but most phones are clueless about any color space other than sRGB, so it displays the RGB numbers in the file as if they were sRGB numbers. This usually means much lower saturation, a color shift, and lower contrast.

The solution to this is to *always* use PS's "convert to sRGB" command before saving a copy to be distributed to others.

HTH,

Tom M

scottyccfc

Since you didn't post one of the problematic images or give other details like what browser you are using, what phone you are using, etc., I can't say for sure what's going on, but my very strong suspicion is that you are inadvertently posting JPGs tagged as ProFoto. The browser in your laptop or desktop knows how to handle ProFoto images (aka, is color managed) and presents them to you the same way they looked to you in PS, but most phones are clueless about any color space other than sRGB, so it displays the RGB numbers in the file as if they were sRGB numbers. This usually means much lower saturation, a color shift, and lower contrast.

The solution to this is to *always* use PS's "convert to sRGB" command before saving a copy to be distributed to others.

HTH,

Tom M

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply
Im using a Samsung Galaxy S5. All browsers appear fine, Chrome, Firefox and IE, Ive tested them all.Issue is with phone when I view on Twitter or on phone gallery. I create the image in ProPhotoa nd then Save to web and save as sRGB file.
Ill upload image as soon as I get a chance thanks. Im just unsure if its related to the image or browser viewing.

ANother test I did was uploading it as ProPhoto and it actually looks the same so maybe Its not converting correctly

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Definitely post the image file. We'll take a look at it and see what it looks like. I'll try to get back to you later tonight.

Tom M

scottyccfc

brogana4finalNEW.jpg
This is one of the images - resized to 800 x 1132

Now its a basic desigm, the main problem is from AIG down its virtually black (The whole point is to keep it slightly faded) when viewing on social media such as Twitter etc

scottyccfc

Another example is this one. Once I uploaded it to Social Media it had to be brightened up. tranmere2.jpg

Attachments

• tranmere2-Brighter-Image.jpg
    tranmere2-Brighter-Image.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

scottyccfc

Ok Ive just checked my settings and it seems its set to sRGB, not sure how this happened but assume I cleared the cache in the temp files or something.
Im just completely confused now as to what is happening, Ill leave it to the experts on here :)

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
...Another test I did was uploading it as ProPhoto and it actually looks the same so maybe Its not converting correctly ...
That's very suspicious. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but are you sure you are using the "convert to" command, and not the "assign to" command?

Also, the color space of the 2nd image you posted was CMYK SWOP /web v.2. That one will definitely have a big problem if you try to display it on lots of browsers, with on-line image hosting services, and even with lots of software. Did you intend for it to be another sRGB?

With respect to your 1st image, it shows up on my system as untagged RGB, not specifically sRGB. When you did the final save of this image, did you use the simple "Save As" command, or the "Save for Web" command. If the latter, did you check "Embed color profile". If not, try it with that box checked.

Do you know how to check the actual color profile of an image using either Bridge or a 3rd party program like EXIFtool? It doesn't sound like you've been doing this.

BTW, FWIW, on my big system devoted to PS (with a regularly calibrated high end monitor), and on my iPhone and iPad, the area below "AIG" is quite dark, but I can certainly make out details in that area. I don't have access to your model of phone, so I can't check that for you, but certainly lots of systems, especially when viewed in anything brighter than a dark room would make that area look jet black.

Sorry ... Gotta run...

Talk to you later tonight.

Tom M

scottyccfc

Lots of info there Tom its very much appreciated. Thank you.
I definately went "Save for Web" but Im not 100% sure if its set as "Embed colour profile" Ill double check this thanks.

This has only been happening for the last maybe 2 months so something has changed.
To answer your question about checking the colour profile No I havent but Ill research how to do this thanks again.
YOu have pointed me in lots of directions here so Ill sus all this out and get back to you, thanks again

Just one last question, should I really be creating these files in ProFoto or am I best to keep it simple sRGB?
There is no deep crazy work with these just simple designs and wondering if IM shooting myself in the foot with the ProFoto.
Is this setting recommended?

Last edited:

scottyccfc

These are my settings, its a bit obvious Im clueless now when it comes to colours/colors of my images, would you have any tips to a guide I can look all this up and learn what I need to learn?

check.jpg

scottyccfc

Just checked this on a second monitor and the all black issue has arisn too. Could this possibly just be a simple case of monitor resolution or colors/colours on certain devices etc?

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey Scotty - Sorry I didn't get back to you immediately, but I was running around like crazy this weekend between it being the Labor Day weekend here in the States, a photo shoot yesterday, and then processing around 60 images yesterday to get to the client ASAP. Anyway, I'll try to respond to the questions in your last two posts in the next couple of hours.

Best,

Tom M

scottyccfc

Hey Scotty - Sorry I didn't get back to you immediately, but I was running around like crazy this weekend between it being the Labor Day weekend here in the States, a photo shoot yesterday, and then processing around 60 images yesterday to get to the client ASAP. Anyway, I'll try to respond to the questions in your last two posts in the next couple of hours.

Best,

Tom M

Absolutely no panic Tom, You have helped out a lot already so anything extra is a bonus. Cheers pal

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Scotty - If I desaturate your 1st image probe near the bottom of it with the eyedropper tool, I'm seeing RGB values ranging from 2,2,2 to around 6,6,6 just below the "AIG". This is very, very dark. Only the best monitors (or ones with an artificially raised black baseline) in a room with subdued lighting will be able to show detail in areas this dark.

If you are making images for general distribution on the web for viewing on everything from desktop machines to cell phones in bright sunlight, I would suggest your darkest areas never be less than around 10, 10, 10, and if for printing, no less than around 15, 15, 15, or even more for lower quality offset printing.

To answer your question in post #11 about device-to-device variation, yes, there can be surprisingly large variation. Even just raising the ambient light level from a darkened room up to the level of a normally lit office environment will cause one not to be able to see as deeply into the lowest blacks.

Tom M