What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to isolate this dress to change it's color?

Ksenija

Hi guys and gals,

I'm trying to change some product colors for client and now I'm desperate. Don't know how to isolate product when it is in white color on white background and on blond girl. All selection tool I know already tried and not working in this combination since graphic has to be in high quality and I got terrible results. Can anyone suggest me something beside Color range and Refine edge tools (which works quite nicely for example if clothes isn't white with same blondie on white background).

This is photo I'm working on for days now
SF15H04---2-3-side---white.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used the Brush Tool ONLY, set to black on a layer mask for the dress. Took about 5 to 8 minutes.

I used channel masking for the hair. About 5 minutes.

Both could have used some tweaking, but I just wanted to demonstrate that you don't have to rely on magic tools..........you can still use the good ole brush tool to make selections.

Hair.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.50.25 PM.png

Hair combined with dress.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.29.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.46.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.48.01 PM.png

Ksenija

Thank you for your work but hair selection you made don't match my client's requirement in quality. She need to look it more realistic. That's why I have problem.

I used the Brush Tool ONLY, set to black on a layer mask for the dress. Took about 5 to 8 minutes.

I used channel masking for the hair. About 5 minutes.

Both could have used some tweaking, but I just wanted to demonstrate that you don't have to rely on magic tools..........you can still use the good ole brush tool to make selections.

Hair.
View attachment 60347

Hair combined with dress.
View attachment 60348

View attachment 60349

View attachment 60350

Tom Mann

Guru
Of course the quality is lower if for no other reason than the dimensions (in pixels) of what he posted are vastly smaller than the original. :rolleyes:

The point of Sam's response (particularly, the part that said it took him only 5 to 8 minutes) was that he was giving you a fundamental method that YOU can then apply at whatever resolution you need. I'm sure he had no intention to spend the time it would take to demonstrate that it works at the full resolution of your original. That's your job.

The point is that by either a method as simple as painting on the mask or using channel masking, possibly followed by tweaking it by painting on the resulting mask, you can decide on a pixel by pixel basis exactly what's included, exactly what's excluded, or anything in between. Doing so will, of course, take more than 8 minutes at full resolution, but certainly not the "days" that you have been working on it.

Tom M

Ksenija

Ok, I'll try with channels and let you know about results
Of course the quality is lower if for no other reason than the dimensions (in pixels) of what he posted are vastly smaller than the original. :rolleyes:

The point of Sam's response (particularly, the part that said it took him only 5 to 8 minutes) was that he was giving you a fundamental method that YOU can then apply at whatever resolution you need. I'm sure he had no intention to spend the time it would take to demonstrate that it works at the full resolution of your original. That's your job.

The point is that by either a method as simple as painting on the mask or using channel masking, possibly followed by tweaking it by painting on the resulting mask, you can decide on a pixel by pixel basis exactly what's included, exactly what's excluded, or anything in between. Doing so will, of course, take more than 8 minutes at full resolution, but certainly not the "days" that you have been working on it.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Ok, I'll try with channels and let you know about results
Channels is only the starting point. Sam's method was channels followed by painting on the mask at a pixel-by-pixel basis around the troublesome edges of the hair.

I gave it a quick try at full resolution (...quick only because I only worked on a small area and didn't pay much attention to the frilly edge of the dress...), and here's what I came up with. This small area took about 10 minutes, so I would guess that all the hair might take an hour or two.

Tom M

Attachments

• SF15H04---2-3-side---white-tjm01-ps02a_cropped-for_GIF.gif
    SF15H04---2-3-side---white-tjm01-ps02a_cropped-for_GIF.gif
    49.4 KB · Views: 32

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for your work but hair selection you made don't match my client's requirement in quality. She need to look it more realistic. That's why I have problem.
As Tom Mann pointed out for you, I had absolutely no intention of doing a PERFECT job on this edit. In case you didn't notice, I included the amounts of time I spent on each. MY efforts were for demonstration only. I was simply pointing out a technique that you can use yourself. If you or your client require a better selection on the hair..........then you spend more than 5 minutes on it!

Ksenija

Didn't mean to disrespect your work, just saying that hair isolation in this case has to be on higher level than on tutorials/videos I found and by manual selection of every hair on photo.. To be honest didn't try it with channels - doing it right now. I'll let you know results. And yes - I'm spending much more time on it. She'll have to pay for all of this :)

As Tom Mann pointed out for you, I had absolutely no intention of doing a PERFECT job on this edit. In case you didn't notice, I included the amounts of time I spent on each. MY efforts were for demonstration only. I was simply pointing out a technique that you can use yourself. If you or your client require a better selection on the hair..........then you spend more than 5 minutes on it!

Tom Mann

Guru
Three suggestions, Ksenija:

1. The version you posted has some JPG compression artifacts in it. These can make a surprising amount of trouble when one is trying to use any automated or semi-automated method to make a mask (eg, a channels method). I suggest you either get a higher quality original, or use something like Topaz's de-JPG filter to clean up the image you posted. I did the latter.

2. Whenever one is trying to generate a mask to distinguish between two very similar tones or colors, it can be very helpful to develop the mask on a version of the original in which you have artificially increased the local tonal and color contrasts. One easy way is to simply run the image through ACR and increase the clarity and vibrance sliders. Another approach is to use either medium radius unsharp masking or use a plugin such as Topaz Clarity or Topaz Detail. Once you have a good mask for this temporarily constructed version of the image, it's easy to throttle it back to use on the original image.

3. If you want to use an automated technique, you may want to download trial versions of commercial, automated masking programs. I like these three: (a) OnOne Software's "Perfect Mask", (b) Vertus' "Fluid Mask", and (c) Topaz's "Remask". As I recall, each of them has a tutorial that deals specifically with masking whispy hair.

HTH,

Tom M