What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is so frustrating. Is this a simple fix??

Nate Stringer

[FONT=&amp]So, I had a good feel how to have my website functioning. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Unfortunately, when I went to present my prototype in my web design class, the slices were visible. My professor insisted that's the reason we use DIV boxes - but I don't have time to figure those out. Is there anyway I can successfully hide the pesky auto-slices that appear on my live website? [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I've attached a picture. I need those random slices gone.. Any advice would be a great help!! [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks.

P.S. I made this active by using dreamweaver. It may be a dreamweaver issue idk...[/FONT]

Attachments

• SkyPieFail.jpg
    SkyPieFail.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 4

Tom Mann

Guru
Do what your prof suggested: Just take the time to learn the use of the DIV tag. If you get rid of the artifacts by some other method, he will likely remember the issue, will ask you about it, and if you try to deflect his question, he will probably ask to see your HTML.

When he does, he won't be satisfied, and probably knock some points off your grade.

Here's why he (correctly) won't be satisfied:

"...The traditional way of positioning HTML elements was to place them inside invisible tables. But this was complicated to do and caused web pages to load very slowly. Not only that, but it is now officially the wrong way to do it! ..."

(From: http://www.beginnersguidetohtml.com/guides/css/layout/div-tags ).

The emphasis is theirs, not mine. In other words, he wants you to learn something important and you are trying to avoid doing so.

Good luck,

Tom M

Nate Stringer

I don't care to learn proper HTML. This was a flop class on my schedule - I most likely will never be working with HTML in my life again.

Do you know how to resolve the issue? If so, I'd be forever in your debt, kind sir.

Tom Mann

Guru
I don't want to sound like a Nazi, but to give some perspective to my answer, you should know that I have been a full professor at a major university for many years. Often, I have been asked to sit in as an external reviewer for senior theses in the Computer Sciences department.

Here's the problem, it really doesn't matter if the course was nothing but a filler from your point of view. With respect to your grade, there is undoubtedly a grading rubric for that course, and a major contributor to your grade is undoubtedly the student's comprehension of HTML. It doesn't matter if the student is an art history major or a complete CS geek, to be fair to the others students and to uphold accreditation standards, each student should be graded the same way.

I'm simply trying to get you not run head-on into an embarrassing confrontation with your prof, and have points taken off your grade.

Sorry, but I just can't ethically help you do what you asked, i.e., a non-HTML workaround using PS.

Tom M

Last edited:

Nate Stringer

Every student should be graded the same way? My friend, is you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.