What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Photoshopped DVD Cover Insert for Daughter's Father's Funeral

Cm1333

**Before I type any more, I want to tell everyone that I just typed about 5 paragraphs explaining exactly what I'm looking for and my internet timed out after I hit submit so here I go again - My autosave option seemed to save a little over one line of my original message... lol! So bear with me please!**

Hi everyone,

I am new here simply for the purpose of freelancing someone to make a front and back DVD cover insert for my daughter's father's visitation and funeral slideshow disc... He died a little over a month ago on June 6 at the age of 25 in a tragic car accident... My daughter is 3 years old and they were EXTREMELY close. Most of the photos in the slideshow are of him and her. He and I were together for many years and after we decided to no longer pursue a relationship we remained very close friends so this has been very traumatic to all of us. I'm hoping that this DVD with 100+ pictures of him smiling with friends and family will bring peace to all of our friends and family, but more importantly serve as a very special keepsake for my daughter... Especially as I know memories of him will surely fade over time... I am giving these discs out free of charge to our friends and family - Currently I have 50 DVD's burned and laser etched, the last step is getting the perfect cover created and getting them sent out to everyone. :).

That's where you guys come in - I would not even consider myself a novice in Photoshop... I downloaded the program when I was working on this whole slideshow DVD project and I got something put together that is OKAY, but okay is not what I'm looking for here. I want something that really tells the story I want it to tell... I want it to be professional, artistic, colorful, peaceful, and portray Britton (my daughter's father) in the most accurate way possible. I'll be more than happy to share with you what I created but it is probably an embarrassment to you guys who are experts with Photoshop! I do have a certain color scheme in mind, certain ideas for the editing of the photo, a certain vibe I want to feel from the cover, certain fonts in mind and also the perfect Bible verse picked out for the front cover. I am clueless as to what I want for the back cover as of right now... I am still brainstorming but I am more than open to other ideas.

There are very few "good" photos of him by himself... and they are all taken on either poor quality cameras or an older cell phone camera, so they look rather grainy... Hopefully you Photoshop experts can help in that area. He's also got really great, bright green eyes and I'd like for those to really take presence in the photo... I would also like very vivid, real colors... Nothing "cheap" or "cheesy" looking... very REAL colors, if that makes sense. I would really like to talk ideas over and send the various photos I have of him to anyone who is interested in taking this project on, rather than someone waste valuable time and effort for something that is just not what I'm looking for.

The DVD cases these are going in are the Dynex colored slim DVD cases from Best Buy - NOT jewel cases! They seem to measure 5.25" width by 7.25" height... You can google for exact specifications if you'd like but I could not find any so I measured the case myself! :)

Also, please note I do NOT want the spine portion of the DVD case... Just a front and back cover.

Since I am not an avid member at these forums, it is best to contact me via e-mail to get the quickest response. I suppose these messages will be forwarded to my personal e-mail account... I will e-mail all photos I have to work with for the cover and also share my color ideas, fonts, quotes, etc.

I realize this is a freelance forum and I promise I will generously compensate anyone who can fulfill my wishes with this project... This is extremely important and personal to me and I want it to be nothing less than perfect. I'd really like to get these DVDs out ASAP as I promised everyone I'd have them out within a week, almost a week ago. After I realized how "un-skilled" I was in Photoshop I started looking elsewhere for someone else's expertise. :). I have faith that someone here can provide me with what I am looking for.

Thanks so much for reading, and thanks to anyone who responds.

Have a good night,

- Courtni

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

I approved your post for viewing.

You can post images you want to include for the CD cover as well as other pertinent detail necessary. Uploading them here in your thread may speed things up.

I'm sure there will be a lot here willing to help you out.

Cheers.

Jmark

Hi Courtni, Im sorry about your loss,
Im very interested in helping you on this project, can you please give me more details?
You can send the pictures to my e-mail: mimosa91@live.com
Looking forward to working with you

Last edited:

Very sorry to hear about your and your daughters loss. I hope you find all the help you need from the talented artists around here.. if not i'd love to extend any help you need too.

Cm1333

Thank you everyone for the messages and replies!

I'll add the pictures I have in mind here... Again the selection is few and the quality is less than great, but it is all I have to choose from so please tell me if you think you could make them look at least presentable for a DVD cover.

The picture with him in the pink button up shirt is his obituary picture and that is my daughter Kinley with him. This is the photo we had laser etched on all of the DVDs.

The photo with the girl in the picture (his ex girlfriend, we are good friends).... I like the picture of him, but we want either the photo to be JUST him, or him and Kinley together.

I love the first mountain picture, where he is somewhat smiling. I think we could potentially do some really cool things with the sky there... I am hesitant to send what I've come up with already because I don't want to hinder anyone else's creativeness if you know what I mean, but I think it's important since it's the only "visual" I have of what I'm looking for. Mine is TOO basic, grainy, the colors aren't right and it looks like it was made in PowerPoint or something... But the concept is right... Minus the plain gradient background.. I'm not sure what I'd like to do there.

The pictures of pathways are images I found on google that I thought were really cool... maybe they could be used with this or maybe not. I especially love the pathway-back image... I think it's gorgeous! The one grunge background picture I thought may be able to used for the back cover or something... I'm really not sure.

For the front cover, I want it to say his name "Britton Phythian" on the top center and have an image of him photoshopped somehow to look either heavenly or amazing somehow... I just want it to be over the top awesome... I don't have the kind of pictures I need to really express BRITTON in any of this so I need to be able to use photoshop to my advantage to work with what I have. Anyways the bottom center I want to have the Bible verse on my trial cover.

Back cover I'm still brainstorming but open to ideas!

Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in so far, I promise I am really looking forward to everyone's ideas and I really will compensate whomever it is that can accomplish this for me... I'm very excited and hopeful to see what kind of ideas you all have!

Thank you,

- Courtni

Attachments

• britton and kinley.jpg
    britton and kinley.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3
  • britton crop other person out.jpg
    britton crop other person out.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • britton in front of fountain.jpg
    britton in front of fountain.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4
  • britton kin walking.jpg
    britton kin walking.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 51
  • britton mountain.jpg
    britton mountain.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
  • britton mountain2.jpg
    britton mountain2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
  • britton obituary.jpg
    britton obituary.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 51
  • britton pool.jpg
    britton pool.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4
  • kinley at britts visitation.jpg
    kinley at britts visitation.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
  • britt silly hat.jpg
    britt silly hat.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2
  • fantasy paradise background.jpg
    fantasy paradise background.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • green path.jpg
    green path.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 2
  • grunge background.jpg
    grunge background.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 51
  • never-ending-pathway.jpg
    never-ending-pathway.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 52
  • pathway-back.jpg
    pathway-back.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DVD template4.psd
    8.9 MB · Views: 4
  • DVD template4.jpg
    DVD template4.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 3

Fatboy73

Guru
Forgot I had to reply once to the original post to satisfy the site requirements so...

Courtni I also would be more than happy to take a look at your photos and help you out on this project. :)

Cm1333

Everyone, I am adding several professional pictures we had taken in 2011. I am not sure if any of the images of him can be used for this, but at least you'll have some high quality photos to consider!

britt court kin krista justin.jpg
britt court kin krista justin2.jpgcourtni kinley britton smiles.jpgcourtni kinley britton.jpg

Jmark

Hi Courtni, this is Michael, I´m working on it, thank you for posting the pictures :)

Cm1333

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread!!! I absolutely love seeing my ideas come to life... You guys are all so talented! I am confident that I will get exactly what I am searching for... Thanks again for all of your replies!!!!!!!!

Just noticed that the OP had not closed this. This was done already so mods if you'd like to close this thread you can. :)