What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restauration of an old photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcelluss

Hi friends! I am from Brazil a I want to give a gift to my grandfather. Its possible restore and colorize this photograph? How much cost? Photo frame can be removed. Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi marcelluss and welcome.

Here is your .jpg image.

taozinho1.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
This one is going to be a little difficult. I'll work on though and see what comes out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry marcelluss, this one would take way more time than I have right now.

Paul

Former Member
Hi Chris, Great work but you have no watermark on the image for that reason it cannot be shown.
Thanks.

ALB68

Here's the one I did. I didn't even realize this was in the freelance section until I was through with it. I offered it to the OP at a bargain price but I had to tell him the photo was such low res that the print might not be so good. He either didn't like the work or the price, as I never heard from him again.
This is a screenshot. I believe he said this was his grandfather who is now like 80 yrs old.
Restore.JPG

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Larry, yours looks exceptional given the small, poor resolution image you had to work with. Eliminating the lines must have been difficult.

ALB68

Thanks Sam. it was a pretty good chore to clean it up and not lose any of the subjects features. I thought it came out decent considering what it was. It's pretty difficult to make silk purses from pig's ears as you know/
Thanks Larry, yours looks exceptional given the small, poor resolution image you had to work with. Eliminating the lines must have been difficult.

Tom Mann

Guru
Chris, did you use a Fourier transform or some other standard the de-screening method?

Tom

MrToM

Guru
I had a go too but wasn't going to post it as
A: It was ALB68's job and
B: I've only done half the request.....I'll admit I'm pretty useless when it comes colouring in.
Anyway, this is what I came up with.

Before my rubbish attempt at smoothing it out (Chris...how DID you do yours?)

taozinho1_04b.png

After my rubbish attempt at smoothing it out. (And a little levels adjustment)

taozinho1_04.png

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My question was addressed to Chris.
Sorry Tom, Larry's was the only one without lines so I thought you were referring to his version. Chris' still had lines and he just replaced the BG. Again, sorry.

Chris, did you use a Fourier transform or some other standard the de-screening method?

Tom

No Tom, the Fourier method is too difficult for me. I lack the experience.

I first I enlarged the image to 200%. Then reduced the RGB to greyscale. This gives a slightly blurred image, which is advantageous in this case.
Then I worked with frequency separation, which was very difficult to get a good resultat. Then some motion blur filter (horizontally), and additionally a little Topaz Clean (Skin even) .

BG is filtered with Gaussian blur.

Then a lot of work with the clone stamp tool.
From the greyscale I changed back to RGB, and with curves I reached the original blueish gray shade again. Finally I reduced the image size back to the original size for posting.

A good result, I think. But you can still see the lines a little, but the image character is not altered too unnaturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.